(817) 754-0465

It is currently Fri Nov 16, 2018 6:27 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Incubator
PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2005 7:46 pm 
Hi all. What do you have your flasks in. I would like to build something to maintain the temp. and light needed for optimum growth of my stem props. I currently just have them sitting under a 2' florescent light. The themp. in the house fluctuates quite a bit, thus forming condensation on the inside of the baby jars I am using, and ultimately water ends up on top of the agar.
I have the jars sitting on an angle so the lid is not in the way of the light and so the water is positioned away from the bud.
Any ideas??
Stephen

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2005 7:40 pm 
My it is quiet in hear. Hello is there anybody innnnn hearrrrrr innnnn hearrrrrr innnnn hearrrrrr.
I didn't think the question was out of the ordinary.
We all must not want to give our trade secrets away.LOL
I thought this forum was going to have a great wealth of knowledge.
O well off to other things.
Stephen

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2005 9:47 pm 

Hi. Didn't see your post until this evening. I do a lot of stem props and know several other labs that do a lot of them. I don't believe that any of us worrry too much about some temperature variation in the room. Unless the temp swings are really dramatic I don't see that it will matter much. You should try to keep your minimum temp at about 68-70 degrees F. My growing area ranges up to about 74 with a low of about 70. I use clear tops on my containers . I start in tubes and transfer to pint wide mouth canning jars with plastic lids to finish. I get some condensation but it is not a problem. Your method of tipping the container seems to solve your light problem. I have about 200 ft.candles on the tops of my containers. I have noted a wide variation is light levels in various labs with good results. Unless you are experiencing contamination problems or poor growth you probably don't have to change anything. I believe that the choice of medium for stem props would be a much more imortant consideration. Do you use coconut milk in your mix? I'm sure that there are many others out there that would have suggestions if you have specific problems. Good luck, and I believe that you can always get some help on this forum. It might help if you ask questions directed at specific persons ( such as Peter Lin) if you need a quick answer and no one is responding rapidly to your questions.
Dean Stock

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2005 6:44 pm 
Thanks for the reply Dean. I'm not having any contam problems just trying to optimise things.
The house temp in the spring is a little lower than in the winter, Use wood heat in the winter so the house is warmer.
I have noticed things have slowed down a little. And I know that a little condensation floating around isn't suppose to hurt. But I think it would be better to keep the moisture in the agar.
I am using Phtoteck. stuff mixed to there specks, although I would like to try the recipes in the previous posts.
Thanks again. Stephen