(817) 754-0465

It is currently Sun May 27, 2018 11:10 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: water quality and lighting for smaller violacea and bellinas
PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2018 4:58 am 

hi

i've been away from this forum for a couple of years aswell as the hobby, so i need to refresh my knowlegde.

i need a reminder of the optimal conditions for growing violacea and bellinas, i've tried the search function, but it wasn't easy fiding what i needed to know.

i use RO-water with akernes rainmix, i start out with water around 17ppm's, but which ppm am i supposed to aim for, for regular watering? i have a tds meter and i soak the pots with bark in a solution aound 200ppm or just below that, using only the rainmix in the RO water.

i use flourecent tubes for indoor lighting at the moment, but i am currently building homemade LED lights, containing a lot of red and some blue light. would that be better than warm white fourecent tubes? what are your experiences, do i still need to ad white light?

i only have a small collection of violaceas and bellinas and they are pretty small plants still, so i need to know if i am fertilizing to much for such small plants.

best wishes

anders

just realized that i posted in the wrong subject... sorry

Post subject: Re: water quality and lighting for smaller violacea and bell
PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2018 6:38 am 

Welcome back, and Happy New Year, Anders.

In my experience, a consistent, low level of nutrition is preferred. I found all of my plants did very well when every watering - a thorough flush, not an extended soak - consisted of RO water containing a low level of fertilizer. Specifically, I added 25 ppm N, which for the Rain Mix formula, is about 0.2g/L.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2018 5:20 pm 

Anders --

Again, welcome back.

I also grow almost exclusively under lights. I have a couple of combinations and I have to say that, to my surprise, white light is indeed helpful. I get "stronger" growth from more blue/red combinations...BUT, I get better *flowers* (color, shape and size) specifically from bellina under the fixtures that have a white-light bulb. Perplexing, to my small mind, but empirically very clear to me. Under this combination, I recently flowered bellina 'Krull's Perfection' at a size exactly matching the FCC/AOS award natural spread. I do not fertilize, but I grow in good sphagnum. I will be using Ray's KelpMax this coming year for better roots and therefore, better plants over-all.

Happy New Year and best of luck in your return,
Walton

Dorothy Parker

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 6:22 am 

Thank you for some really usefull answers!

Last night a read the article in the fertilizer subforum, posted by eric i think, about nutrition supplements. He mentioned seaweed extract a couple of times, is there a specific brand i get get good results with from shops located in europe?

The last couple of days, one of my small plants, a krulls blue from schwerter, started to get yellow leaves from the low end of the plant, 1 leaf died so far, because it turned yellow and another leaf is going the same direction.

What can i do to prevent further loss of leafs?

The plant is starting to root again, both from existing roots in the pot and from the base of the plant... i can take pictures if needed.

Generally the leafs on that plant is more light green than my other violaceas, with a few yellowish spots, i have thought about using a magnesium supplement containing MgO, to see if i can get some more green in to the leafs, but i am afraid to mess up the plant even further..

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 8:36 am 
Site Admin

Both Phal violacea and Phal bellina are very sensitive to cold temperature. What is your day/night temperature? Humidity? Ray’s Kelpmax is the seedweed extract that will aid in growing roots.
yellowing leaf maybe an indication of lack of water (from root loss, not able to take up sufficient water).

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Profile Personal album  

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 5:55 pm 

peterlin wrote:
Both Phal violacea and Phal bellina are very sensitive to cold temperature. What is your day/night temperature? Humidity? Ray’s Kelpmax is the seedweed extract that will aid in growing roots.
yellowing leaf maybe an indication of lack of water (from root loss, not able to take up sufficient water).

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

hi peter

my night temperature is around 22c, daytime is 28c... but its from a shipment from december 2017 from germany to denmark, the box was very cold when it got here, so its properbly because of the 4 day trip in winter temps in scandinavia and overfertilizing since it got here...

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 6:37 pm 
Customer

Work on your temperatures 25/30C if possible, this will make the biggest difference
More light than standard Phals
Good water and dilute constant fertilizer

I grow under lights in sphag:perlite 50:50 so as not to suffocate roots

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2018 5:46 am 

sharky wrote:
Work on your temperatures 25/30C if possible, this will make the biggest difference
More light than standard Phals
Good water and dilute constant fertilizer

I grow under lights in sphag:perlite 50:50 so as not to suffocate roots

hi sharky

i know it's an issue with the temp, and because the orchids stand in the same room as i sleep, i don't like to keep the room temp to high during the night, but i don't think i get below 22 c during the night, in daytime my aquarium lights heat the room to about 28-30 c, i will do some measurering to night, to make sure i have an okay night temperature during these winter months.

as soon as we hit april, i'm sure its not an issue, but last night the temp outside went below -5 c, and my windows arent completly closed at night, because the humidity would get to high to breathe, because of all the aquariums i have standing around my room. but they act as radiators and humidifiers with a lowest point of 25 c, so i don't imagine, that the climate inside here is getting to cold... :)

although my krull smith selfing from schwerter is stunned atm., others are growing a bit, my coerulea's are rooting like crazy and starting to produce new leafs, so i must be doing somthing right i think. maybe it's the LED lights that i made, i bought stuff from china that where really easy to assemble, lots of red and blue LED's and some cold white...

i can post a picture later, eventhough it's not pretty and just a prototype, but it's made with stuff i had laying around. it's should produce about 3500 lumen