(817) 754-0465

It is currently Tue Aug 14, 2018 10:21 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Bud Blast-bring them in?
PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2018 7:19 pm 

I have been having fairly good results with my growing outdoors on a well shaded deck. My new plants from Peter look great with good root growth. I did repot using a mix to provide good drainage because we do get some downpours here in the summer. I am at 3000 feet and get good light breezes. Night time temperatures are around 65 +/- 3 degrees with daytime in the mid 70's to mid 80's. However, a new young Phal from Peter, Phal Gigabell which has at least one small bud on it's about 3 inch spike has yellowed. The spikes and tiny buds to be on my other recent young orchids seem to be doing well, as of today.
Now I understand the change from Perter's nice and cozy TX greenhouse to the wilds of the NC mountains could have been a shock to the young orchids. I am wondering if I should bring these young plants with their first spikes into the house to bloom. As I said, the plants themselves seem to be loving the outdoor life. Just worried about the buds on the spikes.
Thank you.

Post subject: Re: Bud Blast-bring them in?
PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2018 9:10 pm 
Site Admin

MountainPhal - yes, I would because indoor temperature is more consistent and warmer. Your night temperature 65F is much cooler than what these novelty phalaenopsis prefers. Phalaenopsis bellina and its hybrid like night temperature in the 70s F. And day temperature can be in the upper 80s F provided that humidity is high and they are in shade.

Profile Personal album  

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2018 10:16 am 

peterlin wrote:
MountainPhal - yes, I would because indoor temperature is more consistent and warmer. Your night temperature 65F is much cooler than what these novelty phalaenopsis prefers. Phalaenopsis bellina and its hybrid like night temperature in the 70s F. And day temperature can be in the upper 80s F provided that humidity is high and they are in shade.

Thank you Peter. Plants coming in but will probably give them some outdoor time during the day. Our humidity here is pretty high so I'm sure they will be ok. The orchid bench on the deck is under an oak tree and is very shaded all day.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2018 4:48 pm 

Be careful with those gigantea crosses grown outside -- especially young ones are susceptible to bacterial rot when grown outdoors, or grown without regular preventive spraying, which I am too lazy to do myself... :cry:

Dorothy Parker

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2018 6:44 am 

WaltonInlet wrote:
Be careful with those gigantea crosses grown outside -- especially young ones are susceptible to bacterial rot when grown outdoors, or grown without regular preventive spraying, which I am too lazy to do myself... :cry:

Walton, try a regular treatment with Inocucor. After a relatively short period of time, you'll see rots of all sorts cease to be an issue.

That was true for me with overhead watering in my PA greenhouse, and has continued with the plants out on the deck here in NC, despite this area thinking it must be south Florida, with daily, heavy rains.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2018 9:52 am 

Gave all orchids and house plants spending the summer outdoors a good dose of Inocurcor this morning.