(817) 754-0465

It is currently Sat Apr 20, 2019 3:02 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Phal. Question
PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2019 3:33 pm 

Hello,
Hope you are all doing well with this weather! I have a question, and hope this is the place to ask. Over the weekend we had the Orchid Mania! Show and I purchased a Phal. Schilleriana with an inflorescence with 6 buds on it. This plant is from Taiwan, and I learned that plants from Taiwan have to be packed in moss in order to be brought into the country.

My growing area works better with bark. I am thinking about cutting the inflorescence and just transplanting the plant into bark right away. Does anyone have any thoughts on this?

Any advise is appreciated! Take care!
Cheryl

Post subject: Re: Phal. Question
PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2019 4:42 pm 

This is just one person's opinion: it depends on the size of the pot. If it is under 4", I would leave it alone, grow it normally and enjoy your flowers. If it is in a 4" pot or larger, I would just water it sparingly and still wait to see the flowers, then repot. Good luck with it!

Dorothy Parker

Post subject: Phal. Question
PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2019 6:34 am 

I'll add another opinion in the same vein:

If you have a budded inflorescence, why waste it just to repot?

I suspect that the problem you (and many growers) have with compressed sphagnum is its ability to become saturated and suffocate roots, so using a more "open" medium is preferred.

Yes, you're going to want to repot it, but until the plant is done blooming and new roots are just emerging from the base of the plant (the ideal time to repot), why not just be very sparing of the watering so you don't saturate it and enjoy the flowers?

My favorite technique for that is to stand the pot in a very shallow tray, and just put enough water in the tray so that it's all soaked up in about 10-15 minutes. The wicking process spreads the water within the fiber strands, rather that between them, which is what blocks the air flow and gas exchange, leading to suffocation.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2019 10:38 am 
Site Admin

I like to remind growers that they are the one in control of watering. Maybe it’s best to use 1/2 cup water initially for a few weeks to water a plant potted in moss. Wait for signs of new growth. Allow plants to become adjusted to new growing environment. Repotting is best done in warmer months and when plants are actively growing.

Expecting plant to be in shock when switching from moss to bark. If you repot during growing season. You can minimize this setback.

Profile Personal album  

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2019 1:45 pm 

Thank you all for your valuable input! You are all correct!

I re-examined the pot/plant this morning and found the problem. The moss is packed really, really tightly, so no air can circulate around the roots; some of the roots have black mold (?) and the final growing (end) bud is dried out on the inflorescence. Conclusion: The roots are already suffocating.

For the time being, I just pushed the whole root/moss ball up a bit so that air can go up into the root/moss ball from the bottom as well as the top. Most likely I will end up cutting the inflorescence, dousing the roots with 3% hydrogen perioxide, and just repotting tonight. Or may just blow drying the moss. Just kidding!

Lesson learned: when buying plants from Taiwan in moss, look at how tighly moss is packed, and then pick a non-flowering plant so you can transplant without having to make the agonizing decision of whether or not to cut the inflorescence!

have a great day! Be safe!

Post subject: New Questions
PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2019 5:20 pm 

Hello Everyone,
Hope you are doing well! It is finally sunny again, and things are somehow better! LOL
I have three questions:

1. I bought a vanda keiki with green roots. Green from algee. Some of the algee has become moss. Will the moss suffocate the vanda roots? Should I keep the algee, or not?

2. Miltonopsis - for Valentine's Day my hubby gave me a pansy orchid. So pretty, but I didn't water it very much. Now I have to try to save it. YouTube videos recommend bark for growing medium, lots of humidity and cool temps? But Brad's Greenhouse had an amazing looking Miltoniopsis growing in his greenhouse, which I think is warm. His was in bark too.

3. Do you have any favorite phals that are particularly suited for mounting?

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2019 5:19 am 
Site Admin

Just about any Phalaenopsis is suitable for mounting. Question is do you have the right condition to grow plants on mount? Frequent watering and high humidity requirement.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Profile Personal album  

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2019 3:14 pm 

HI Peter,
Thank you for your response. I am still in the process of choosing which phal to mount. But that made me think of another question. What do you do with a phal that has lots of roots?
Of my regular sized phals, the one with the least number of leaves has the biggest root ball. Last year I repoted it into a bigger pot (6") and now it has just started blooming. By the time the media wears out, the roots are going to be even more dense.

I think that phal has been overpotted. What does one do with an overpotted orchid?

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2019 11:20 am 
Site Admin

Hi Donna, what I do with excessive roots is to trim them back. The end result is roots are no longer than 8-10 inches each. New roots will grow. I get asked this question often so maybe I will try to find an YouTube video or take photos of my next big plant repot to show before and after photos

Plants that are over potted can be repotted into correct pot size. Otherwise there is the risk of media staying wet too long and cause root rots.

Best time to repot is during warmer season when plants are actively growing.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Profile Personal album  

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2019 12:10 pm 

Thank you, Peter!