Very Green

Introduce yourself and about your orchid growing setup and experience.
leslieann79

Very Green

Post by leslieann79 » Thu Jan 23, 2014 8:25 pm

Hello! I'm Leslie from San Antonio, TX. I've only been into Orchids since Sept but things have moved quite quickly. I started out as a windowsill grower with maybe four phals. Now I grow under lights and have about 16 phals and one on the way. Some are mini's, and some are Lowe's clearance rack phal's, and there are some that I have bought online. I have about 3 dendrobium/phal type plants. I have two catt's and and a paph on the way. I'm addicted and I'm always reading orchid forums on the internet. I love learning from you more experienced growers. I have two homegrown spikes right now (very exciting for me) and a few I bought in spike. Lots of plants are growing new leaves. A lot of people make me doubt growing in sphagnum, :naughty: but its working for me so far. This is getting kind of long :shhh: so hello and thanks for letting me in!

Nikki Leonard
Customer

Re: Very Green

Post by Nikki Leonard » Thu Jan 23, 2014 8:47 pm

Welcome!

peterlin
Site Admin

Post by peterlin » Thu Jan 23, 2014 8:48 pm

Welcome!
Peter Lin, Admin
Big Leaf Orchids

hbozeman
Customer

Post by hbozeman » Thu Jan 23, 2014 8:59 pm

Good to have another Texan on board.
Hugh

Flush, wash, and SAY NO!!!
(Except for buying/growing orchids)

zxyqu
Customer

Post by zxyqu » Thu Jan 23, 2014 9:07 pm

Welcome welcome! Let the guilty pleasure begin!
>> J <<
You know it's a great forum when you search for "bellina" and it returns this from the server:
"The following words in your search query were ignored because they are too common words: bellina."

naturegirl72
Site Admin

Post by naturegirl72 » Thu Jan 23, 2014 11:44 pm

Welcome!
Bye-Bye, Sylvi & Olaf Image

Flickr!
Album Homepage

Bob
Customer

Post by Bob » Fri Jan 24, 2014 2:48 am

Welcome Leslieann! :)

rangiku

Post by rangiku » Fri Jan 24, 2014 11:00 am

Welcome, Leslieann. This is the right place to learn about growing Phals and many other orchids. This is the Phal addicted place to be.

leslieann79

Post by leslieann79 » Fri Jan 24, 2014 11:09 am

Thanks everyone. :D I've been drooling over a phal sogo grape fireball on the web and remembered I have a fancy free scarlet spring that I noticed last night has a spike. Its a sickness y'all.

hbozeman
Customer

Post by hbozeman » Fri Jan 24, 2014 11:25 am

It's a sickness for which there is no cure!!!
Hugh

Flush, wash, and SAY NO!!!
(Except for buying/growing orchids)

rangiku

Post by rangiku » Sun Jan 26, 2014 7:38 am

It's a sickness we don't want cured. :)

Bob in Albany NY

Post by Bob in Albany NY » Sun Jan 26, 2014 8:20 am

Welcome and don't be afraid of sphagum moss, just don't over water it and you'll be just fine. Many of us started at the discount racks with NOIDs (no id plants). I still find them hard to pass up. After all, I want the beauty of an orchid and the way it makes me feel rather than a tag that I toss out when and if the plant dies. On another note, paphs. go great with phals. I'm mostly a paph grower but am now sliding into phals. once again.

leslieann79

Post by leslieann79 » Sun Jan 26, 2014 4:14 pm

Bob in Albany NY wrote:Welcome and don't be afraid of sphagum moss, just don't over water it and you'll be just fine. Many of us started at the discount racks with NOIDs (no id plants). I still find them hard to pass up. After all, I want the beauty of an orchid and the way it makes me feel rather than a tag that I toss out when and if the plant dies. On another note, paphs. go great with phals. I'm mostly a paph grower but am now sliding into phals. once again.
I just got my first paph the other day. Its a maudiae. It's kind of bittersweet because I got it online and the roots were mostly rotted. The seller was nice and gave me a partial refund. Speaking of noid's I found the cutest "teacup orchids" (thats what the tag said) at walmart. They were ten dollars each and one of them has mottled leaves! The roots on one were excellent. The other had not so many roots and a few were rotted but not bad! So I think Im out of room on my growing shelves. The pictures are of the walmart ones I got today. I tried to take a picture of the special marks on the leaves. I don't know how visible it will be.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Return to “Introductions”