(817) 754-0465

It is currently Tue Jul 23, 2019 4:21 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Hi from Glasgow, Scotland
PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2018 2:49 am 

Hi! I'm Callym, 23 and I live in Glasgow, where it's relatively cold but luckily quite humid!
I've been growing orchids for ~2 years, starting with a small collection of rescue phals from the reduced section in supermarkets, then going to my local orchid societies show last year, where I picked up a few different types of orchid!

I was then lucky enough to stumble upon a NOID phal with mottled leaves, which I didn't even realise was possible! This got me interested in orchid species, and the other week I finally managed to get a Phal schilleriana, stuartina, and gigantea!

Post subject: Re: Hi from Glasgow, Scotland
PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2018 7:05 am 

Hello to you as well. You have a great journey ahead of you, especially if you like the mottled leaves of things like schilleriana. When these plants grow up really large, they provide a cascade of multi-branched inflorescences that will take your breath away.

If I may be so forward, given your description of your environment, keep a close eye on that gigantea. They do not like cold and tend to be prone to rotting in humid, cooler settings. You are to be applauded for growing one, but I humbly suggest that you inspect the plant daily (at least) for any signs of soft black/brown spots that can dumbfoundingly quickly spread and take the life of your plant. Again, if I may be so forward, it might not be the worst idea to stock up on anti-bacterials (Hydrogen Peroxide actually does help, if the bottle is very, very fresh) and anti-fungals. Anti-fungals come in (at least) four distinctly different "groups." In my humble opinion, I suggest that you look for brands with systemic action, but at least four different "modes of action" that you can alternate. You should never use the same group frequently: alternate groups for best results. If you use the same product over-and-over, the risk of the disease developing resistance to the compound is greatly increased. If you flower gigantea in Scotland (and I suspect you will), you will know that you are truly meant to grow orchids!!! Here is a link to a list of USA names for products and modes of action for anti-fungals; your local society will help identify what brands/names are available in your area:

https://www.apsnet.org/edcenter/intropp ... icides.pdf

Good luck, and post photos often and as soon as you flower something that makes you smile from deep within! We all look forward to your photos!

Walton

Dorothy Parker

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2018 8:57 am 

WaltonInlet wrote:
Hello to you as well. You have a great journey ahead of you, especially if you like the mottled leaves of things like schilleriana. When these plants grow up really large, they provide a cascade of multi-branched inflorescences that will take your breath away.

I've seen pictures of some online and they look incredible! I love the smaller-flowered multi-branched flowers so much, a lot more than the bigger flowers of most hybrids.

WaltonInlet wrote:
If I may be so forward, given your description of your environment, keep a close eye on that gigantea. They do not like cold and tend to be prone to rotting in humid, cooler settings. You are to be applauded for growing one, but I humbly suggest that you inspect the plant daily (at least) for any signs of soft black/brown spots that can dumbfoundingly quickly spread and take the life of your plant.

Thanks so much for the advice! I'm still a novice to all this and had read you have to be careful when watering as they're prone to crown rot, and it's great to know what else to look out for! I'm quite lucky that I've got some huge south-facing windows, so it can get quite warm in the summer, but I might move the gigantea closer to the radiator to keep it warmer and drier than the rest of my orchids.

WaltonInlet wrote:
Again, if I may be so forward, it might not be the worst idea to stock up on anti-bacterials (Hydrogen Peroxide actually does help, if the bottle is very, very fresh) and anti-fungals. Anti-fungals come in (at least) four distinctly different "groups." In my humble opinion, I suggest that you look for brands with systemic action, but at least four different "modes of action" that you can alternate. You should never use the same group frequently: alternate groups for best results. If you use the same product over-and-over, the risk of the disease developing resistance to the compound is greatly increased. If you flower gigantea in Scotland (and I suspect you will), you will know that you are truly meant to grow orchids!!! Here is a link to a list of USA names for products and modes of action for anti-fungals; your local society will help identify what brands/names are available in your area:

https://www.apsnet.org/edcenter/intropp ... icides.pdf

Thanks so much for the link! I'll have a look around at what anti-fungals are available in the UK (I know quite a few things that you can get in the US seems to be banned over here)
What else makes a good anti-bacterial? Last time I had to get some peroxide I could only find it online, and it's always good to have other options.

My gigantea is still quite small at the moment (the leaves are probably in between the size of mini phals and regular phals at the moment), so I'll be happy to just keep it alive long enough for it to grow a few more leaves, I think flowering is probably a long way away yet!

WaltonInlet wrote:
Good luck, and post photos often and as soon as you flower something that makes you smile from deep within! We all look forward to your photos!

Walton

Thanks so much! I'm hoping that some of my phals manage to flower in the next couple of months now the temperatures have dropped - will be a big confidence boost in my growing abilities if I can manage that :D

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2018 11:37 am 

While I agree that you should investigate curative products, I urge you to focus on giving the plants what they need, as that will greatly lessen the need for cures.

Personally, I never let my phalaenopsis plants get any cooler than about 20C, usually keeping them quite a bit warmer.

Cool, damp roots are the "kiss of death".

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2018 4:53 am 

callym -

Ray (his note above) owns a company that sells preventive products like Inocucor. Ray -- do you ship abroad? I know of at least one of Ray's customers who uses this "pro-biotic" preventive as a soak for seedlings straight out of the flask and he has almost zero rot, even on delicate babies. If you could get a hold of a product like that, and provide the environmental quality needed, Ray preaches the truth about prevention. I meant to mention Ray's website in my original note (First Ray's Orchids); it is currently under maintenance, but he is a great resource with many years of experience, as are others on this forum -- you have definitely found the right forum to join.

Walton

Dorothy Parker

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2018 7:08 am 

raybark wrote:
While I agree that you should investigate curative products, I urge you to focus on giving the plants what they need, as that will greatly lessen the need for cures.

Personally, I never let my phalaenopsis plants get any cooler than about 20C, usually keeping them quite a bit warmer.

Cool, damp roots are the "kiss of death".

Hi Ray, I agree - I hate using unnecessary chemicals if at all possible! Good to hear about your temperature range - it's quite a bit colder in Scotland, but they're currently around ~15c and I'm hoping to keep them at least there for the winter. Most of my NOIDs seemed okay with this last year (only one flowered but the rest were in pretty bad condition when I got them), but I can keep some slightly warmer if that'd be better for them. (Although we only get summer highs of mid-20s up here, is it okay to give them winter temperatures that are so similar to their summer ones?)

WaltonInlet wrote:
callym -

Ray (his note above) owns a company that sells preventive products like Inocucor. Ray -- do you ship abroad? I know of at least one of Ray's customers who uses this "pro-biotic" preventive as a soak for seedlings straight out of the flask and he has almost zero rot, even on delicate babies. If you could get a hold of a product like that, and provide the environmental quality needed, Ray preaches the truth about prevention. I meant to mention Ray's website in my original note (First Ray's Orchids); it is currently under maintenance, but he is a great resource with many years of experience, as are others on this forum -- you have definitely found the right forum to join.

Walton

I've found Ray's site before, it's such a great resource! It really helped me understand a lot more about fertilization and the sections on semi-hydro were super interesting even just as a resource to understand more about what your medium is doing for the plant, so it's amazing to hear from him directly!

Forums like these are great because there's so much misinformation about orchids around! I got my mum an orchid at the beginning of the year and she told me she'd stopped buying them because they always die, but thanks to information I've found on here, the AOS website and OrchidBoard, it's grown three leaves this year and is currently growing something that might be a spike!

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2018 6:23 am 

While I do ship KelpMax and K-Lite internationally, my contract with Concentric Ag (formerly Inocucor) does not permit me to do so.

The store is up again.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2018 8:41 am 
Customer

Aloha from Hawaii!

Randy