Phalaemopsis kunstleri or fuscata?

Discussion on keeping, growing, collecting phalaenopsis species
TomSaintJames

Post by TomSaintJames » Fri Jul 12, 2019 3:28 am

Morning everyone, I've been lurking on here for some time now. I've had a series of species phals (some of my favourite plants) with varying success rates! It's a one in, one out policy as windowsill space is on the tight side (and negotiation has to be made with the other half as to who gets which windowsill!). With the heat mat and regularly watered wet moss, the conditions are 24-30 degrees celsius and 50-65% humidity on this east-northeast facing windowsill.

The survivors I have are:
P. stuartiana possibly var nobilis
P. fasciata
P. venosa

There are a couple of hybrid NOIDS, two not on the heat mat (which is inset into the polysytrene) and one on the far RHS on the heat mat purple panda type flower, very pretty). venosa and fasciate didn't flower last year, so I hope they will do this year, perhaps this autumn. stuartiana flowered earlier this year, it's a much more vigorous plant than the other two species. We moved house in december, and I think they prefer this house to the last.

A couple of weeks ago I treated myself to another 2 new species, P. floresensis and P. kunstleri (i've always wanted one of these!). To my surprise the kunstleri cam with a flower spike and a couple of buds! I was very excited, the first bud opened two days ago. To cut the rambling short, is there a way to tell bewteen fuscata and kunstleri? See picture below of my plant.

I'd love to know your wise opinions! Not only on the identity but also growing conditions.

TomSaintJames

Re: Phalaemopsis kunstleri or fuscata?

Post by TomSaintJames » Sat Jul 13, 2019 12:31 am

So the potential kunstleri has developed a slight scent, a lightly sweet citrus-like scent maybe? The flower has opened a bit more also, with the petals being slightly more curved back on themselves.

peterlin
Site Admin

Post by peterlin » Sat Jul 13, 2019 12:31 pm

This is from page 98 Dr Eric A Christenson's book "Phalaenopsis - A Monograph"

Peter Lin, Admin
Big Leaf Orchids

Return to “Phalaenopsis Species”