(817) 754-0465

It is currently Tue Sep 25, 2018 9:01 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 70 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: My New Greenhouse!!!!!........
PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2012 10:40 pm 
Customer

Mackarov, how do you grow your bulbo's in Minnesota? Are they indoors under MH lights for half the year? I'm interested in trying some here in Houston, but was concerned about having them indoors and too dry during the 3 mos of "winter" we have. Seeing that you can successfully grow yours there.. well, makes me feel overly cautious.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2012 12:45 pm 
Customer

phalaenopsis - The only tree in my yard is shared with a public sidewalk so I do not grow my plants outside at any point in the year. Although orchid society members I know utilize shade cloth or large trees to accomplish this in MN. I grow them all indoors year round under the MH light, in summer within view of an East (1 hr / day of bright light) and Southern window (3-4 hours). In winter they live in my basement. Year round my Bulbo's are kept in the indoor humidity tent with a humidifier.
Depending how many plants you have I had success using a large aquarium with rock and water at the bottom with a small computer fan periodically providing complete air exchange. None of my plants shriveled their bulbs in that environment using Southern light.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2012 8:32 pm 
Customer

So new pics, as requested by Jarad. I took these with my phone. They aren't so bad, but hard to get everything in. You can see that a couple years ago I added a 3 table.

This is the stand I made for seedlings. They do excellent in here. You can also see I'm really behind in potting them out, but in the last few months I've done great with potting, and I'm closer to caught up than I've been in the last 5 years.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2012 8:36 pm 
Site Admin

Ben, your growing area looks great. Are those 2-bulb T5s over your seedlings? I'm gathering data...

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2012 8:41 pm 
Customer

rangiku wrote:
Are those 2-bulb T5s over your seedlings?

Over those are 2 fixtures of 2 bulb T-8's. So 4 bulbs total. I thought maybe it wouldn't be enough, but I've actually bloomed several seedlings under those lights. This is better than my previous set up. I think the lower light and the walls of the trays allow me to water better and then they don't dry out so quick. Peter has sold me too many flasks and compots.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2012 10:03 pm 
Site Admin

Thanks, Ben. Guess I need to find some T-8s. Those are T-5s over your tables?

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2012 10:06 pm 
Customer

Ben are you trying some straight hydroponics on some of those seedlings? Also I see some of the S/H ones. How are both those working out? And how is your power bill with all those lights going?

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2012 11:57 pm 
Customer

OMG!!! :o If you were to give me a place to live and food to eat, I would come live with you and be your personal orchid assistant! :lol:

(I thought I would add as a side note, being a 16 year old teen, I eat a ton of food! :D)

~Cody~

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2012 3:28 pm 
Customer

Well seeing the slick designs posted in this thread has inspired me. I have purchased all the lumber and enlisted a favor of a carpenter friend to abandon my orchid tent and move into a room size area. Dimensions to be 10' x 6'. I will be using more wood than posted images but plan on adding wall mountable areas as well as shelves as needed.

Two questions for those who have already constructed these:

1. What did you do for a door? Loose panel of plastic, frame in an actual door, or ....?
2. Is there a specific reason the plastic was adhered outside the wood frame instead of inside?

Thanks for any input anyone can provide.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2012 3:53 pm 
Customer

Mackarov wrote:
1. What did you do for a door? Loose panel of plastic, frame in an actual door, or ....?

I made one. It stinks but it works. Before I ever got the door made I had a piece of plastic that I hung down like a curtain. It actually kept the humidity in better than you would expect. I'm not a good carpenter

Mackarov wrote:
2. Is there a specific reason the plastic was adhered outside the wood frame instead of inside?

No specific reason. I never thought about it actually. Gives me 4 more inches though when I'm squeezing around the back side of the table.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2012 8:37 pm 
Customer

Many thanks Ben. I am strongly considering the hanging plastic door with a few velcro ties. Good point with the extra wiggle room inside if the plastic is outside.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2012 8:55 pm 
Customer

Mackarov wrote:
Good point with the extra wiggle room inside if the plastic is outside.

Yeah, I'm not a petite person :lol:

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2012 9:12 pm 
Customer

TheBlazingAugust wrote:
OMG!!! :o If you were to give me a place to live and food to eat, I would come live with you and be your personal orchid assistant! :lol:

(I thought I would add as a side note, being a 16 year old teen, I eat a ton of food! :D)

Food is cheap compared to the gas to heat a greenhouse LOL . I have a huge greenhouse that needs lots of TLC. Come on down, we will make room for you.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2012 10:47 pm 
Customer

cjmack wrote:
TheBlazingAugust wrote:

Food is cheap compared to the gas to heat a greenhouse LOL . I have a huge greenhouse that needs lots of TLC. Come on down, we will make room for you.

Hahahahaha!!!! I can only wish. . .

~Cody~

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2012 8:06 am 
Customer

TheBlazingAugust wrote:
cjmack wrote:
TheBlazingAugust wrote:

Come on, plenty of room!

Hahahahaha!!!! I can only wish. . .

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 70 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next