(817) 754-0465

It is currently Fri Dec 14, 2018 12:13 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: New Cross
PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2015 4:14 pm 

Hi everyone,
If everything goes well I am thinking of making the cross between zhejiangensis and Dtps Yu Pin Fireworks x Chain Xen Pearl (viewtopic.php?f=7&t=16793) . I was wondering what you guys think about the possible outcome of flower,the characteristics that the plant would carry and which one should I choose as a pod/pollen parent ? The dtps. flowered in the end of September and it still has flowers while the zhejiangensis would be ideal since it is frost resistant.There is still a lot of time as I am waiting for my zhejiangensis to grow but I just thought it must be useful asking beforehand to ensure the cross is a great one :))

Wish me luck

Post subject: Re: New Cross
PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2015 5:54 pm 
Customer

First I'd be sure of the health of your zhej. Next is worry about using a probable tetra/crapaploid. I'm guessing as I'm on my phone but those two plants remind me of tetras/aneuploids. If that's the case the pollen may not take, or you may be limited breeding with the offspring. Also given the size of zhej, how likely it'll take a larger pollen like that may be interesting.

All crosses are up to you obviously, just my thoughts to consider. Sounds interesting though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2015 6:20 pm 

Dear zxyu,
Thank you for sharing your thoughts as they are really valuable to me.I was actually desiring my Tzu Chiang Tetralitz to cross yet my plant died due to fungus.On the other hand,I have a NOID phal (the yellow one) which I really want to make a cross with zhejiangensis yet I do not know the parentage.The brightness of yellowness and the size of that NOID amazes me. I could send a tissue of the phal to the tissue but I don't know if it would solve the case.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2015 9:14 am 
Customer

Charlaux - are you aware of this site ?
http://phals.net/Primary.html

According to them there is no primary hybrid registered with your phal. You could get your name in the record-books if you successfully cross your plant with another Phal species. What about that challenge - and its a big one ? You would have to buy a species in bloom, or better yet find out if someone has pollen that they can give you in return for a flask of the cross. Best to use pollen from the same 'section' - your phal is Aphyllae.
You could also do the same with a hybrid cross - just make sure that the pollen you get is from a named hybrid.
I commend your enthusiasm. It is a long and winding road ( cue the violins ) in getting any 1) any progeny and 2) getting them to blooming stage and 3) being happy with the outcome.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2015 11:34 am 

Orchidsarefun wrote:
Charlaux - are you aware of this site ?
http://phals.net/Primary.html

According to them there is no primary hybrid registered with your phal. You could get your name in the record-books if you successfully cross your plant with another Phal species. What about that challenge - and its a big one ? You would have to buy a species in bloom, or better yet find out if someone has pollen that they can give you in return for a flask of the cross. Best to use pollen from the same 'section' - your phal is Aphyllae.
You could also do the same with a hybrid cross - just make sure that the pollen you get is from a named hybrid.
I commend your enthusiasm. It is a long and winding road ( cue the violins ) in getting any 1) any progeny and 2) getting them to blooming stage and 3) being happy with the outcome.

The zhejiangensis will be on the tissue lab until the summer and we are expecting 10 healthy ones.It will come as deflasked and potted,I am so excited about everything and on.My heart was really into crossing Tzu Chiang Tetralitz but whether if i can find a pollen from a great one that time is still a big question. I would be more than happy to share the seedlings with anyone who wants it.Phalaenopsis is a great hobby for me and I have dtps purple martin,violeca x malayan,yellow NOID and dtps chain xen pearl x yu pin fireworks.

I know its too early but I just want to do my studies to ensure a great healthy cross.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2015 3:46 pm 

I am trying to figure out the possibilities.What do you think of Dtps.Purple Martin x zhejiangesis.If so which one should be the pod parent and how (likely) the results would look like ?

Thanks

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2015 4:17 pm 
Customer

I've got to imagine that they zhej is more difficult to grow and flourish so I'd probably use it as the pollen do or rather than having the plant support a pod. As to how it will look who knows. I'm not sure if any zhej crosses have come out. It could dominate, but otherwise the pulcherrima form and flower type is likely to dominate. Impossible to say really.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2015 1:05 am 

Just a quick update and hi to everyone again,
The zhejiangensis are growing a little bit slower than expected so they will stay in the tissue lab until June 2016.It will be a long road but I think it's worth it :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2015 10:38 am 

When/if you try it, do a reciprocal crossing. Sometimes one is not a good pod parent but makes a better pollen parent.