(817) 754-0465

It is currently Fri Nov 16, 2018 6:27 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Stay Log in on website
PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2006 8:30 am 
Site Admin

Hi all -
A member has suggested problem about stay "Log in" on the forum yesterday Jan-14. I did some changes in the evening. As a result, I discovered that I started having problem with log in myself. Specifically,
Every time I log in to the Forum, I check the box saying "Log me on automatically each visit:". If it doesn't, you have an issue with cookie.

I believe this issue has to do with cookie.

If it does not work, you may have some automatic process that deletes cookies.
Or you could have a CookieWall management program and set "phpBB" cookie to "Always Delete"

This is what I found when doing some search on the Internet.

http://forum.statcounter.com/vb/archive/index.php/t-14713.html

If you have questions, describe your experience here. Please also specify your platform and browser/version that you are using. If you encounter any error - please let us know the specific error message also.

Profile Personal album  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2006 12:48 pm 
Customer

I was having this problem every time I would go to post a message ... I would compose it , edit it, submit it, and I would get authentication request and have to log in again, then I would lose the message ...

I suspected it had to do with Mozilla, I was using tabbed browsing to have several levels of the forum open at one for quicker naviagation ... but I think the cookies are not designed for multiple browser instances, so I started doing two (well three things) one, I check the stay logged in box, I stopped browsing in multiple tabs, adn started copying my posts to the clipboard before posting so I wouldn't lose them.

I am using Mozilla 1.7.3 on top of Windows NT4 ...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2006 12:55 pm 

I am having the same problem but without doing anything unusual. To get around it I compose the reply message then go back to log in; complete that and go back to message and send it. Works fine but is a little irritating. The automatic log in has never worked for me but it does't work on the other forum I visit either.
Dean Stock

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2006 1:04 pm 
Customer

Peter, is there a configuration option someplace for how long sessions stay active? You might try increasing from the very short time interval that it seems to be set for now, to one more conducive to writing messages ... maybe ten or fifteen minutes?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2006 4:00 pm 
Site Admin

Hi Robert,

Here are my cookie settings in Admin configuration. I have increased session lengh - please let me know if it makes any difference

Cookie Settings:

Cookie domain:
Cookie name: phpbb2mysql
Cookie path: /
Cookie secure: Disabled (If your server is running via SSL, set this to enabled, else leave as disabled)
Session lengh [seconds]: 3000 (was 300)

Profile Personal album  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2006 4:24 pm 
Customer

I think that might help. It seemed like if I took more than 5 minutes to compose a message, I would have to log back in. So 300 seconds sounds just about right ... now I guess I should have 50 minutes to compose my messages ...

Thanks for taking a look at this Peter, I think it will make a lot of people happy.

Post subject: Re: Stay Log in on website
PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2008 3:42 pm 
Customer

Peter,
Twice this week, when I typed out replies of about 100 words, I was logged out and lost my reply when I logged back in. How much time do I have to type an entry before I am logged out?

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2008 4:06 pm 
Site Admin

There is no time limit but I would suggest compose your 'longer' reply in notepad - so to avoid this to happen. And if it does like couple times when site was down this week, you could just hit reply and copy and paste what you have in notepad.

Profile Personal album  

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2008 7:42 pm 
Customer

Right, I certainly plan to keep a back up from now on, but this logging out only happens while I am typing a reply, never at other times, so it seems to be a problem in the reply screen.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2008 9:04 pm 
Site Admin

The only setting in the Administrative area is

Limit editing time:
Limits the time available to edit a new post. Setting the value to 0 disables this behaviour. Minutes

I have this set to 0 - so which is to allow unlimited time. Unless Carol see some other setting that I missed.

Peter

Profile Personal album  

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2009 4:52 am 

Hi all,
I'm having problems staying logged in here. I've tried all suggestions and spent have the night playing around with all my settings, but nothing cures it. I'ts not restricted to replying or making posts, it happens when reading a post or open up a new post to read.
Each time I read a post, I have to log in again. Strange thing is, if I leave the site with the 'remember me' button checked and I come back the following day it let's me on as logged in, but the minute I open a post, I'm off again.
I'm using Windows Vista, IE and due to no Broadband in our very rural area, I use Onspeed.
Anyone got suggestions Please? i'm at a complete loss. I go to 6 other forums and don't have this problem.
Bill.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2009 5:19 am 
Site Admin

I have used IE 7, and now upgraded to IE 8 running under Windows Vista. I don't have a problem stayed logged in. I googled this problem and came across this - would you see if this describes your problem ?? I will check the forum's cookie setting.

http://www.phpbb.com/community/viewtopic.php?f=46&t=671905

I changed Cookie_domain from phalaenopsis.net to .phalaenopsis.net
Let me know if that makes a difference.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Profile Personal album  

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2009 5:56 am 

"Any user who logs in can perhaps click on a forum or subject before being kicked out. I managed to get as far as posting a new message but every time I submit I get asked for username and password again."

Sounds just like it, Peter. I'll let you know if the change you made is better.
Bill.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2009 8:12 am 

Well, everything was going great. No problems, but as soon as I read a post that contained an attached image I wa kicked out again and the problem started all over again. I should have mentioned in my earlier post that it always started with an attached image rather than an embedded image :(
Bill.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2009 8:23 am 

Just to let you know that it has all settled out over the last 5 days since my last post and all is working perfectly now.
Thanks Peter.
Bill.