Last of the flask F15-04

oldphals

Last of the flask F15-04

Post by oldphals » Thu Jul 25, 2019 5:31 pm

As you can see from the attached image, the last of my flask seedlings has large, dark beetroot red leaves. Interestingly, when spayed, the water 'sheets' like an automobile in need of waxing. All its siblings have 'normal' green leaves which form water droplets when sprayed. This seedling does have red flowers, but some of its siblings have much darker flowers - with green leaves. I do not think it is related to light as all the surrounding plants (including some of its siblings) all have green leaves.

Is this just a common genetic quirk?

Thanks
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

raybark

Re: Last of the flask F15-04

Post by raybark » Fri Jul 26, 2019 4:26 am

That left leaf shows vein depressions, suggesting desiccation, and I have seen purple coloration in plants in that condition, but never so uniform. I would suspect a disease before genetics.
Ray Barkalow, Orchid Iconoclast
Using science & logic to improve orchid growing

peterlin
Site Admin

Post by peterlin » Fri Jul 26, 2019 9:50 am

Hi Peter,

This cross is Phal Pylo's Red Sun (Orchidview Tabasco #1 X Mituo Sun Queen).

What I would check is if this plant has plenty of roots. Leaves don't look firm. The excessive red foliage appearance is likely due to loss of roots, thus water and nutrient deficiency. New emerging leaf has green color in it.

I'm confident to say that if you would pot this plant into a smaller pot, just big enough for its root system - encourage new root growth. In time it will have healthier green leaves again

Peter
Peter Lin, Admin
Big Leaf Orchids

oldphals

Post by oldphals » Fri Jul 26, 2019 11:32 am

Thanks Peter and Ray. Actually the plant was repotted about a month ago and treated with Kelpmax at the suggested strength. It had a strong and large root system and the pot was increased one size.

This seedling was selected from the flask because it looked particularly robust and did have an interesting beetroot tinge at that time.

I will watch the new leaf closely and check the watering although I am always cautious in that regard since I use NZ sphagnum and large spongerock as media.

Return to “F15-xx”