Peter says I should introduce myself

Introduce yourself and about your orchid growing setup and experience.
Jeff Yencho

Peter says I should introduce myself

Post by Jeff Yencho » Sat Nov 30, 2013 8:54 am

So hello. I've been growing orchids for 40 years, and have been told that I'm an insufferable know-it-all. Probably am, too, but after 40 years, I've probably earned the right to be a little bit overbearing. I still try to help out new growers any way I can, though. It's a frustrating hobby at times. I understand that. don't let my brusque exterior turn you off.

doreen

Re: Peter says I should introduce myself

Post by doreen » Sat Nov 30, 2013 9:27 am

Jeff Yencho wrote:So hello. I've been growing orchids for 40 years, and have been told that I'm an insufferable know-it-all.
Hi Jeff:

I've been growing orchids for 35 years now. I prefer to think of decades worth of growing experience as sort of a been-there-done-that and what results were obtained just add to my personal orchid growing data base.

The great thing about this forum is that growers are very free with their advice and photos. I've picked up some good tips, tried others that didn't work out in my growing conditions. For me it adds to the adventure of growing orchids.

My goal for the coming year is to charge up my camera and start taking photos of my growing areas and phals to further participate in this orchid community.

Tell us more about your growing area.

Doreen

hbozeman
Customer

Post by hbozeman » Sat Nov 30, 2013 11:29 am

Welcome to this forum. As a new grower, I can't wait to 'sit at the feet' of someone with so much experience.
Hugh

Flush, wash, and SAY NO!!!
(Except for buying/growing orchids)

Bob in Albany NY

Post by Bob in Albany NY » Sat Nov 30, 2013 12:28 pm

Hi Jeff, welcome to our little part of the world. I've only been growing orchids for 18 or 20 years now, but have been slowly moving from mostly paphs. to phals. Hope we can all share and learn a little threw Peter's forum. So do you grow in a greenhouse, under lights?

rangiku

Post by rangiku » Sat Nov 30, 2013 12:43 pm

Welcome to the forums, Jeff. I am absolutely certain that you are an orchid grower with a heart of gold with much wisdom to impart to us newbies. And, yes, please post photos!

zxyqu
Customer

Post by zxyqu » Sat Nov 30, 2013 1:01 pm

Welcome Jeff! We love experience around here. Enjoy!
>> J <<
You know it's a great forum when you search for "bellina" and it returns this from the server:
"The following words in your search query were ignored because they are too common words: bellina."

Jeff Yencho

Post by Jeff Yencho » Sat Nov 30, 2013 1:46 pm

Everything's growing on windowsills (or hanging in baskets in front of windows). Hardly an exotic set-up. But hardly a day goes by where I don't find a new spike on something, so I must be doing something right. Two spikes on my yellow Phal today (it's a rescue plant that I paid $5 for for, so I don't know its name), one from the base of the plant and one from last summer's flower spike. DON'T CUT THOSE SPIKES, people — they re-bloom.

I'm more heavily into Vandas than Phals, but I've got a bunch of really nice Phals too, reds, pinks (a 4N schilleriana), yellows, a real amabilis, greens, a C-1 speciosa, lots of violaceas/bellinas/hybrids, so maybe I should just stop saying I'm not all that into Phals.

Check out the Rhynchovanda (f/k/a Rhynchostylis) photo I posted today in the vandaceous subforum. A seriously happy plant. It's been blooming since August. Still going, too.

Jeff Yencho

Post by Jeff Yencho » Sat Nov 30, 2013 3:16 pm

You want photos? Well, Peter just about had a cow when I e-mailed this to him a couple of days ago. A very non-standard clone of Phal. Brother Lancer. Pure red, no digital manipulation whatsoever.

Jeff Yencho

Post by Jeff Yencho » Sat Nov 30, 2013 3:23 pm

Vanda (formerly Ascofinetia) Twinkle.

Jeff Yencho

Post by Jeff Yencho » Sat Nov 30, 2013 3:29 pm

Paph. (Black Cherry X Super Suk).

Jeff Yencho

Post by Jeff Yencho » Sat Nov 30, 2013 3:34 pm

OK, one more. Cattleya (formerly SC) Crystelle Smith 'Gold Throat.' All of these are blooming right now. But hey, you wanted photos, you got photos.

Jeff Yencho

Post by Jeff Yencho » Sat Nov 30, 2013 3:39 pm

Oh, crap. Forgot about this guy. I'm a bad, bad person.

Jeff Yencho

Post by Jeff Yencho » Sat Nov 30, 2013 3:46 pm

(Sorry for blowing out the tables on these posts, Peter, but it's not the first time it's ever happened in the world. You'll live.)

naturegirl72
Site Admin

Post by naturegirl72 » Sat Nov 30, 2013 4:16 pm

Welcome to the forum, Jeff! Great to read you and see your photos!
Bye-Bye, Sylvi & Olaf Image

Flickr!
Album Homepage

doreen

Post by doreen » Sun Dec 01, 2013 8:34 am

WOW

Hi Again Jeff:

Most "insufferable know-it-all"s that I have known in the orchid world have not had your success in growing and blooming orchids!

To grow and bloom orchids in natural light/windowsill culture takes SKILL. I now consider you the go-to-guy on advice on how to grow orchids in the home.

Loved all the photos.

Doreen

Return to “Introductions”