New Member Greetings

Introduce yourself and about your orchid growing setup and experience.
deemarie03

New Member Greetings

Post by deemarie03 » Mon Feb 24, 2014 1:43 pm

Hello All:

My name is deemarie03, I live in upstate New York, near Syracuse. I began growing orchids about 4-5 years ago when a friend told me that if I could grow African Violets I could grow orchids. Here in the Northeast we have an amazing grocery store chain called, Wegman's. Their beautiful orchid display stops me in my tracks every time and keeps me wanting more :D

I have 5 plants at present and need to learn more about how to keep the roots healthier.

I grow in natural light, my plants have come from the big box or grocery stores. The standards plants grow in bark, the mini's in moss.

I look forward to learning more and being inspired by the pictures of your plants and your collective wisdom.

deemarie03

hbozeman
Customer

Re: New Member Greetings

Post by hbozeman » Mon Feb 24, 2014 2:25 pm

Welcome to our group. You must have great will power and resolve to have been growing for 4-5 years and only have 5 plants!!! I'm afraid that will soon change when you see all of the lovlies posted here. You will find great people with willingness to help here.
Hugh

Flush, wash, and SAY NO!!!
(Except for buying/growing orchids)

Nikki Leonard
Customer

Post by Nikki Leonard » Mon Feb 24, 2014 2:41 pm

Welcome!

naturegirl72
Site Admin

Post by naturegirl72 » Mon Feb 24, 2014 4:28 pm

Welcome to the forum from Germany! :D
Bye-Bye, Sylvi & Olaf Image

Flickr!
Album Homepage

penangirl
Customer

Post by penangirl » Mon Feb 24, 2014 5:19 pm

welcome aboard, ah even better you are a fellow New Yorker, there are a lot of confederates on this site. lol

deemarie03

Post by deemarie03 » Mon Feb 24, 2014 5:40 pm

Thanks everyone. Yes, I've already been looking at some of the amazing pictures of members' orchids and I can feel the willpower draining away - HA! I have never seen such beauties!

rangiku

Post by rangiku » Mon Feb 24, 2014 9:02 pm

Welcome deemarie. Please pick up some white hots for me the next time you are at Wegmans. :)

Also, resistance is futile; welcome to the orchid collective that is the forums at BLO!!

zxyqu
Customer

Post by zxyqu » Mon Feb 24, 2014 9:54 pm

This is not the willpower you were looking for... *waves hand over your wallet.

Welcome to the group!
>> J <<
You know it's a great forum when you search for "bellina" and it returns this from the server:
"The following words in your search query were ignored because they are too common words: bellina."

deemarie03

Post by deemarie03 » Tue Feb 25, 2014 10:27 am

Speaking of willpower (and the lack thereof!) I just picked up a good deal, 2 healthy orchids in full bloom in one ceramic pot for $9.99 at Wegmans. They are NOID's but I'm okay with that. How do I go about finding a source for some of the beauties I see on this forum? They must come from Orchid nurseries. Do you have success buying them by mail order?

hbozeman
Customer

Post by hbozeman » Tue Feb 25, 2014 11:01 am

Now we are talking...
Look at the top of the page and you will see 'Store'. This is Big Leaf Orchids, owned and operated by Peter Lin, the founder of this site. It is a great place to start. Others in your area may know of some vendors in NY.
Hugh

Flush, wash, and SAY NO!!!
(Except for buying/growing orchids)

Nikki Leonard
Customer

Post by Nikki Leonard » Tue Feb 25, 2014 11:15 am

and yes, Peter is VERY skilled at ensuring that you have success buying phalaenopsis by mail order!

rangiku

Post by rangiku » Tue Feb 25, 2014 1:53 pm

Peter has great plants you won't find elsewhere for the price and is an amazing packer of plants - he turns a piece of newspaper in a load-bearing protector. I tried to learn from him at the 2012 IPA Symposium but I need more lessons...

deemarie03

Post by deemarie03 » Tue Feb 25, 2014 2:48 pm

Thanks everyone, time to start shopping :D

peterlin
Site Admin

Post by peterlin » Tue Feb 25, 2014 7:11 pm

Welcome.

Thank you all. No ID phals are alright. I started with them too when I was 10. Some of us want to learn more about the flowers and that's when name becomes important.

It's like me buying roses. If I buy one in flower then I see the color I like. I don't need it's name because I don't show it or use for breeding. But name becomes important when I saw a double delight rose I like. I search for ones not in bloom by their name tag. Of all places I found my double delight at walmart.
Peter Lin, Admin
Big Leaf Orchids

Return to “Introductions”