Joining from Tennessee

Introduce yourself and about your orchid growing setup and experience.
willyWAR

Joining from Tennessee

Post by willyWAR » Sat Mar 15, 2014 6:22 am

Hello from East Tennessee. I have been growing phals for about 8 years, along with every other orchid I could get my hands on. I started with phals from Lowes and have since rid my self of those, either by death or gave them away at our society meeting. The past couple of years I have not been able to successfully grow a phal, except from plants Peter. After a recent visit with Peter, I have determined I am keeping them too dry, they may not like my bark/charcoal/ perlite mix, the leaves are possibly desiccated. The plants from Peter grown in sphagum moss and are doing much better. I am looking forward to exploring the web site here and getting tips from others. Thanks for the invite.

naturegirl72
Site Admin

Re: Joining from Tennessee

Post by naturegirl72 » Sat Mar 15, 2014 6:33 am

Hi Willy,

Welcome to the forum :text-welcomewave:

To your substrate thing... ;) We also grow our phals in a barkmix and aren't doing so good with growing in moss. Growing in a bark mix you need to water more often than in moss, that's for sure ;) One reason why some grow better in barkmix and others in moss in my opinion is the room temperature. When the pots don't stay warm people often experience failure while growing in moss. The permanent humidity around the roots combined with "not so warm" room temps can be a problem and lead to root rot. That's easier with bark mix. Roots don't get so cool and dry out quicker. Our new orchid room is a lot warmer from underneath and now we are much better with some plants in moss - before we regularly killed them (pots stood cooler) ;) Just my/our two cents ;)
But you will find many very helpful and knowledgeable people here - and we are always happy to have someone new here - so please show us photos soon :D
Bye-Bye, Sylvi & Olaf Image

Flickr!
Album Homepage

hbozeman
Customer

Post by hbozeman » Sat Mar 15, 2014 6:49 am

Welcome, Willy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2
Hugh

Flush, wash, and SAY NO!!!
(Except for buying/growing orchids)

rangiku

Post by rangiku » Sat Mar 15, 2014 11:40 am

Hey, Willy, welcome to the world of Phalaenopsis lovers. We do love to see photos...:)

HIDLIGHTMIKE
Customer

Post by HIDLIGHTMIKE » Wed May 28, 2014 7:43 pm

Hey and welcome! Gosh, have we met? I'm just over the mtn from you, north of Asheville and south of Mars Hill, NC. My wife works at ETSU and commutes to JC.
Celebrate diversity, love your friends & family, and grow great orchids!

rdlsreno
Customer

Post by rdlsreno » Fri Jun 06, 2014 11:15 pm

Welcome to the forum Willy!!!!!!!!!! :text-welcomeconfetti:

Ramon :D

Brian Bilyeu
Customer

Post by Brian Bilyeu » Sat Jun 07, 2014 4:27 pm

Welcome! I knew a grower who did well with charcoal and perlite, but he also mixed in a peat lite mix. This would settle in the bottom of the pot and roots would gather there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ben Belton
Customer

Post by Ben Belton » Sun Jun 29, 2014 6:29 pm

Welcome to the forum. Sorry I'm a little late to the party here.
Carpe Diem

Return to “Introductions”