Hello from Sacramento

Introduce yourself and about your orchid growing setup and experience.
DPfarr

Hello from Sacramento

Post by DPfarr » Mon Dec 22, 2014 9:33 pm

I am happy to be here. I've gotten into thinking much about breeding this last year. Gigantea primaries currently are what my collection of Phals is comprised of, some from Big Leaf, some from Mr Yang Yang, and KingFisher. Breeding the rosea and aurea lobbii is another breeding goal. I am happy to learn and glean the newer things coming out wand what clones to look out for.

Is communication with with the Norton's easy or swift? I had sent message to Kathyrn trying to get some violacea coeruleas but have had no response.

The main interest is cuthbertsonii though. Followed by Angraecoids and micro Cattleyas.

My name is Daniel, and I hope to have some contributory membership here.

rdlsreno
Customer

Re: Hello from Sacramento

Post by rdlsreno » Tue Dec 23, 2014 1:35 am

Daniel Welcome to the forum! Nice to see you join in. :text-welcomewave: :text-welcomeconfetti:

Ramon :D

Bob in Albany NY

Post by Bob in Albany NY » Tue Dec 23, 2014 1:39 pm

Welcome to our little piece of the world.

As far as the Norton are concerned, I think that they are shutting down or most likely are shut down as far as breeding and selling phals. It is my understanding that they are still doing a few phrags or at least maintaining a collection of phrags.

peterlin
Site Admin

Post by peterlin » Tue Dec 23, 2014 2:57 pm

Mrs Norton of Orchidview had an accident recently and broke her neck. She is doing better now and is in recovery.
HP still does some lab and maintain a smaller collection of phal species and phrag's. It's best if you call and leave a message for their daughter Carol. She will let you know what's available.
Peter Lin, Admin
Big Leaf Orchids

zxyqu
Customer

Post by zxyqu » Tue Dec 23, 2014 6:01 pm

Welcome welcome! Yeah Peter answered best on Mrs Norton. Glad to hear she's well! Feel free to ask and post away!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
>> J <<
You know it's a great forum when you search for "bellina" and it returns this from the server:
"The following words in your search query were ignored because they are too common words: bellina."

DPfarr

Post by DPfarr » Wed Dec 24, 2014 10:20 am

Thank you all. Glad we can frequent each other's presence than just at a society meeting here and there Ramon.

I will give Carol a call after the holiday about getting some blues.

theshatterings

Post by theshatterings » Wed Dec 24, 2014 11:34 am

Welcome Daniel! I'm just across the causeway from you.
-han
my blog

IrinaKurbatova

Post by IrinaKurbatova » Sat Jan 03, 2015 10:02 am

I wrote them and they told me that they sold everything to Big Leaf. Peter, could you please explain me the situation?

peterlin
Site Admin

Post by peterlin » Mon Jan 05, 2015 10:44 am

IrinaKurbatova wrote:I wrote them and they told me that they sold everything to Big Leaf. Peter, could you please explain me the situation?
That probably means that they are unable to ship anything oversea. It is a lot of trouble (cost and time) to get plants shipped outside of US because of regulations. Remember Mrs Norton broke her neck and she is still in recovery. She is the only one at Orchidview who worked with agriculture in her states. Mrs Norton told me that the regulations got more difficult and the risk is greater.

Fortunately you can get Norton's indigo strain of Phal violacea from many people today. Seedlings were sold oversea to Taiwanese, Malayisa, and Thailand. I would also check with Krull Smith but I don't think they shipped outside of US. Orchid Limited will ship outside of US.
Peter Lin, Admin
Big Leaf Orchids

naturegirl72
Site Admin

Post by naturegirl72 » Mon Jan 05, 2015 12:21 pm

Hi Daniel, welcome to the forum from Germany :D
Bye-Bye, Sylvi & Olaf Image

Flickr!
Album Homepage

IrinaKurbatova