Hello From Warren, MI

Introduce yourself and about your orchid growing setup and experience.
amyorchidbud56

Hello From Warren, MI

Post by amyorchidbud56 » Wed Mar 11, 2015 7:33 am

Hi everyone, my name is amyorchidbud56. I live in Warren, MI (Sub of Detroit) and have been growing orchids for almost six years. I still consider myself a beginner when I started killing almost all of my orchids from over watering and under watering. It was hard to tell when the bark was wet or dry! Anyway, I had back in 2013 56 Phals that got spider mites & mealybugs. After I got rid of the mealybugs I got the spider mites. Stupid me couldn't figure out what I had. I had a few members from the Michigan Orchid Society tell me different things of what was going on. Someone told me I had a micro-fungus & so I threw them out!! :o - when actually I had was spider mites! So, I ended keeping 12 of them quarantined & after a month of so the mites were actually dead. I did a spray of half alcohol & water + 1 tsp. of dish soap (sprayed on the top & bottom surface of the leaves for 3 consecutive weeks. And know I even have half in bloom & new leaves !! So. I'm happy I didn't throw all away. Now, I back up to about 30 Phals. And I will diligently check them for insect diseases, etc.!!! I hope to learn a lot of things here in this forum :D

hbozeman
Customer

Re: Hello From Warren, MI

Post by hbozeman » Wed Mar 11, 2015 12:29 pm

Hi, Amy, and welcome to our enabler site. :D

Your story sounds similar to mine, and probably to a lot of fellow hobbyists. You just have to find out what media/light/conditions/etc. you can manage, and go from there.

Looking forward to some pictures.

Hugh
Hugh

Flush, wash, and SAY NO!!!
(Except for buying/growing orchids)

peterlin
Site Admin

Post by peterlin » Wed Mar 11, 2015 2:44 pm

Welcome Amy. Feel free to ask any phalaenopsis related questions.

Peter
Peter Lin, Admin
Big Leaf Orchids

amyorchidbud56

Post by amyorchidbud56 » Wed Mar 11, 2015 4:22 pm

Ok - Thanks!!

doreen

Post by doreen » Thu Mar 12, 2015 7:08 am

Hello Amy, welcome to the group.

This is a good forum for everything to do with phals. No matter how long we have been growing orchids, there are problems that crop up and we need help from other growers.

amyorchidbud56

Post by amyorchidbud56 » Thu Mar 12, 2015 4:41 pm

Thanks, I will!!

Return to “Introductions”