(817) 754-0465

It is currently Mon Jul 22, 2019 8:16 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 71 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: New Forum for members to introduce themselves
PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2014 10:49 am 

Joe here from Singapore, been taking care of phals since June 2014, and I already have about a hundred :? Madness ... it all started when my wife asked me to go buy some orchids for her, got some lovely noids and they all died of course, all their roots had root rot in the first place. Decided to read about orchids and a bellina came, and so on ...

I would love to grow them outdoors, but I just don't have the real estate, so most of them are all indoors under LED lights, a few in the balcony. I hang them all, as the pot space are taken up by bonsais.

Well, learned a lot since then and still learning, reading each topic here from Page 1 :lol:

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2014 12:39 pm 

Welcome, Joe. That's sure a lot of orchids in a few months...you'll fit right in here. :)

I, too, read every topic from page 1. Learned so very much in a short time. :high five:

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2015 2:53 pm 

Hello!
My name is Yuliya. I am from Ukraine. I am in love with orchids for 2,5 years. So I am realy a new one. Trying to understand them.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2015 8:01 am 
Site Admin

Ulitochka wrote:
Hello!
My name is Yuliya. I am from Ukraine. I am in love with orchids for 2,5 years. So I am realy a new one. Trying to understand them.

Welcome!

Profile Personal album  

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2015 3:10 am 
Customer

We are all learning. Welcome.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2015 1:00 pm 

welcome to all the new forum members,glenn in california

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2015 2:52 pm 
Site Admin

Welcome to the forum!

Flickr!
Album Homepage

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2015 6:02 am 

Hi all!
My name is Aphro and I'm in Central Texas. I started with a Big Box Brand (BBB) Mother's Day orchid about 6 years ago. I'm still largely a BBB grower. I have great success in keeping orchids alive, green, and throwing out new leaves, but not much success in inducing blooms. In the context of "it's Central Texas, summer is coming, and temps will be over 100f for much of the next 5 months" would it be reasonable to use my old fridge as a cold room to help induce my phals to set a flower spike?

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2015 8:07 pm 

Hello from Baltimore Maryland. My name is Shirley and I have been interested in learning how to care for orchids since last May 2014. I was given my first Phal and killed it as it was from a Big Box Store said just add ice. So dummy me did. Now stop laughing so hard I learned from it and went out and bought another Phal also a Noid and did better with it after joining a forum and researching about orchids. Most my orchids that are Phals are all Noids. I fell in love with orchids and went out and purchased a few flasks and split them with 5 friends so we all got a few seedlings. They are BLC and Cattleya I was so excited I reading up on flasking and even did some when a friend sent me some seeds of Nodosa she had. Well long story short she lost all her orchids over the winter, my first try failed so I tried it again. This time I see something happening its germinating as I type this. There are small pin like spots I can see but they have not turned green yet. I did them using the dry seeds method and will send her some of her own seedlings once they get big enough in a year. I am keeping a eye on them as they were just flasked 4/6/15 I would love to find other members that would be willing to send me some seeds from so Phal so I could try them also.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2015 12:44 pm 

Hello, my name is Daniel and I'm new to this board, I live in Marin County, California (and sometimes in the Catskills of New York State).

I've been reblooming big box store or commodity Phals that people give me, in a couple south-facing windows, for several years. I am currently in the process of jettisoning these after reblooming (and giving them away) in favor of collectible Phals. In fact, yesterday I purchased Phal Telu and Phal Corningiana from Peter, on eBay, and am really looking forward to receiving them!

Here is my current collection (the first four are from orchids.com/Norman's orchids, the last from Gold Country Orchids via the Marin Orchid Society auction); Phal equestris var. ilocos; Phal Kaoda Twinkle "Chocolate Drops" (P schilleriana x P Malvarosa Valentine Pearl); Phal Ambonosa (amboinensis "young ho" x venosa "dark"); Phal Lioulin Halo "Equilateral" Sogo Twinkle x Lioulin Goldfinch; Phal Liu's Beauty Taiwan 'I-Hsin".

Attached are images of the one non-collectible Phal I don't think I will be able to bring myself to get rid of - it's quite a specimen, a continuous bloomer that had four active spikes a couple weeks ago. Now it's just two because as the young spikes grew, the ones that were several months old lost their flowers.

I also have an outdoor cymbidium collection, similar to my Phals I'm gradually getting rid of the commodity ones to focus on collectible. They grow very well outdoors here, and to them I've recently begun to add Dendrobium kingianum and Laelia anceps; and to my south-facing window collection I'm going to try some Phrags and Cattleya alliance. I also have a small Paph collection I'm trying in a lower light location in my office.

I've often been told I'm doing the wrong thing trying to grow Phals in such bright direct light, but they love it and rebloom easily.

I'd love to receive suggestions on plants to try (any kind of orchid that likes southern exposure or can live outside in a Mediterranean climate) and where to get them. thanks!!

Attachment:
DSC_0033.jpg

Attachment:
DSC_0036.jpg

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

There is a principle which is a bar against all information, which is proof against all arguments and which cannot fail to keep a man in everlasting ignorance: that principle is contempt prior to investigation. - Herbert Spencer

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2015 8:45 am 

Welcome to all the new members of this forum!

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2015 5:32 am 

Greetings, My name is Tim and I live in northern Ohio. After a long hiatus I've rejoined the growers community. It's amazing to see the the advancements that have been made in novelty phalaenopsis breeding programs. This type of breeding was in it's infancy when I was first growing. I will be reading the forum with interest.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2015 9:02 am 
Site Admin

Hi Tim. Welcome.

Profile Personal album  

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2016 9:46 pm 

Hi my friends call me Tina and I live in Orlando, FL.
I grew up in Western New York on a farm with a pretty houseplant never knowing it was a jewel orchid. Just thought is had pretty leaves and white lily of the valley style flowers once in awhile.
After I grew up and got married. I joined an African Violet society, yep I grew up with those too. I grew them under lights in my basement. Went to shows and conventions even some out of state. On one of our african violet rambles a friend showed me a Cattleya in a greenhouse that specialized in african violets and I bought it. It survived but was not happy.

My husband a born Floridian decided he wanted to move back to sunny florida and I have been here ever since. All of my african violets died. I could not adjust to growing them in Florida. But, my Cattleya flourished. Saw a sign for the Central Florida Orchid Society show one day and the rest is history. Those people were infectious.

I have been growing orchids for about 25 years. I grow just about anything that it warmth tolerant. But, Phal's are my favorite. I grow in a 10 X 20 shade house with plastic covered roof and aluminet shading. Of course, they over flow into every tree and shrub that will support them. Shade house is open in the summer, gets totally covered in plastic in the winter and heated as needed. Can you guess I love to talk about orchids? lol

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2016 9:59 pm 
Site Admin

Welcome Tina

Profile Personal album  

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 71 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next