All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Blc. Pastoral ‘Rosee’ AM/AOS
PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2017 10:41 am 
Customer

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post subject: Re: Blc. Pastoral ‘Rosee’ AM/AOS
PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2017 5:51 am 

Randy -

Bravo! One of my all-time favorites...I can almost smell it from Florida! There is at least one different cultivar carrying that name (incorrectly) -- great to see that you have the "real thing." I never knew it was awarded. Probably would not be awarded nowadays, unfortunately.

FYI, we used this as a parent at C&H and the results were...spectacular. I could not believe how many "new" shades of pastels we got, and how flat the flowers were. There were even some white flowers with pink edges to the lip (several different ones). What surprised me most was that they started flowering in 3" pots! I would not hesitate to use it even now, perhaps with some things derived out of Frank's work with Beauford Fischer 'Roccoco'.

Do you remember if this originally came from Vacherot & LeCoufle? I seem to remember it from that old, old color catalogue where they also offered, I think, Lc. Chine 'Bouton d'Or' for the first time in the same catalogue.

Walton

Dorothy Parker

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2017 10:55 am 
Customer

Thanks all.

Walton, a big mahalo for the info. I was thinking of sibbing it with Pastoral 'Innocence' which I think is a nicer flower overall. Better shape and a more compact grower than 'Rosee'.

A guy Mattias outside of Hilo selfed 'Innocence' and got very nice pinks, a few white/pink lips and at least one pure white. From the FB pics he posted, it looks like it was a very good cross with a high percentage of keepers.

Pastoral was registered by Altenberg, so I guess it's originally from South America.

Chine 'Bouton D'or' is now very hard to find. I heard it cripples a lot and then, the pollen is deformed/not viable. When it blooms nice, the pollen is good. The same is true of Yung Hua, a Chine progeny.

I don't consider myself a Catt man, but since no one breeds Phalies in Hawaii, if I want to talk breeding, I have to talk to Catt, Den and Equitant breeders...so I had to learn a little bit about all of that stuff.........

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2017 5:19 am 

No problem, Randy; it is always my pleasure to recollect the old days...

Your notion of a sib cross sounds great; indeed, 'Rosee' is capable of growing in every direction - - from the same pot that never even gets moved, with spiraling growth at that, but I still love it. I had never thought about the fact that 'Innocense' is as "straight-up" a grower as 'Rosee' is..."free-range."

The cross that turned out so well at C&H had Bc. Phil Andrews as the other parent (not the original cross of Phil Andrews, 1981, but a remake using C. Swan Lake 'Cimarron Valley' x Bc. Mt. Hood 'Mary'). Our plant of 'Mary' was a mericlone that was not true to the original plant. It was fully 9" across even on small divisions, but it often had a significant purple lipstick mark on the lip, which I am told by David Toyoshima does not occur in the original plant. In any event, using 'Mary', you can imagine how large some of the Phil Andrews flowers were, and it was one of the larger ones that was paired with 'Rosee', so we got some pretty darned expansive flowers loaded with fragrance. Your sib cross should produce some really fine things with a fun, wild range of pastel colors. Grow it fast; we want to see pictures here soon!

As to Lc. Chine 'Bouton d'Or', there is a huge range of material out there. The original mericlones from Vacherot still grow and perform beautifully (I have never seen a hint of deformity in the one at C&H over some decades of flowering). It has always been a great parent at C&H -- little or no deformity whatsoever, including the cross x Lc. Mary Ellen Carter 'Dixie Hummingbird') (now, remember, 'Dixie Hummingbird' is actually an Lc. Brierley's Ferry, so there is less deformity in the background). The mericlones-of-mericlones of Chine I have heard deform wildly, for some reason. That's why I think the current, well-behaved plant at C&H gets more valuable with each passing year.

Walton

Dorothy Parker

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2017 12:00 pm 
Customer

Thanks Walton, Merry Christmas!

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2017 3:42 pm 
Customer

Well aren't you a wealth of information Walton!
Merry Christmas! :occasion-xmas:

PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2017 5:58 am 

Bob wrote:
Well aren't you a wealth of information Walton!
Merry Christmas! :occasion-xmas:

Neh -- I'm just an old man with a scary memory that cannot forget anything...even if I try!

Happy Holidays to all,
Walton

Dorothy Parker