Tom Larkin - Whippoorwill Orchids

What's New with Phalaenopsis Forum, Announcements, Upcoming Events
peterlin
Site Admin

Tom Larkin - Whippoorwill Orchids

Post by peterlin » Wed Oct 02, 2013 8:20 pm

Tom will be missed. A quick search in Orchidwiz showed that Tom registered 143 orchids of which 132 he was the originator. Many of these are Phalaenopsis.
The MAOC loses a fine judge and advocate We are very sorry to report that Tom Larkin passed away September 9. He had been in failing health for some time due to cancer. Many Mid-America Orchid Congress attendees knew Tom as an accredited judge of the America Orchid Society and as the former proprietor of Whippoorwill Orchids. Tom grew and hybridized orchids for 63 years. He served as a committee member for both the Mid- America Orchid Congress and the American Orchid Society. Some past offices held include Director of the Orchid Digest Corporation, Director of the International Phalaenopsis Alliance, Member of Board of Directors of The Botanical Gardens of the Ozarks, Vice President of the Slipper Orchid Alliance, and Vice-chair and Training Director of the Mid-America Judging Center. He also belonged to the Southwest Regional Orchid Growers Association. Tom participated in the planning that led to the founding of Mid- America. He and his wife Barbara were active in Mid-America for many years, serving as officers and on various committees, until they retired to Arkansas in the mid 90’s. There they founded the Orchid Society of the Ozarks, a Mid-America affiliated society
Peter Lin, Admin
Big Leaf Orchids

Orchidsarefun
Customer

Re: Tom Larkin - Whippoorwill Orchids

Post by Orchidsarefun » Thu Oct 03, 2013 9:57 am

Hats off to the old timers, many of whom didn't have the benefit of science. I have come across Larkin crosses in my research - really nice reds as an example.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk 2

suss16
Customer

Post by suss16 » Fri Oct 18, 2013 11:40 am

I have some great Paphs that I bought from Tom when he was winding things down a few years ago. Will be missed.
Tony B.

zxyqu
Customer

Post by zxyqu » Fri Oct 18, 2013 6:41 pm

Raise a glass and tip your cap. Thoughts and prayers abound.
>> J <<
You know it's a great forum when you search for "bellina" and it returns this from the server:
"The following words in your search query were ignored because they are too common words: bellina."

SusieH
Customer

Post by SusieH » Sun Oct 20, 2013 10:02 am

Tom was a very generous man who loved to share his passion for orchids. Seven years ago, when I lost many of my Phals, including several of Tom's, to a virus, he offered to send me some replacement plants at no cost. Instead, my husband and I drove down to Whippoorwill Orchids, and purchased several Phals, including the reds he's known for. Tom and his wife Barbara spent much of their valuable time with us that day, showing us their greenhouse, talking of plants, and serving us a lovely lunch. It healed the wounds of my plant loss. Tom and Barbara loved to make playful names for their plants. My favorite one is Phal Cardinal Spirit 'OSO Red'. The cultivar name has a double meaning. Oh So Red is obvious, but OSO also stands for the Orchid Society of the Ozarks.
I still have several Larkin Phals and they are dearly loved.
Susie

peterlin
Site Admin

Post by peterlin » Sun Oct 20, 2013 11:04 am

Thank you Susie.
Peter Lin, Admin
Big Leaf Orchids

rangiku

Post by rangiku » Sun Oct 20, 2013 7:58 pm

Yes, thank you, Susie.