Taxonomical Information/How do I have my orchid identified?

Post your questions and photos to identify a species phalaenopsis. We maybe able to identify a primary hybrid between two species parents. Generally we cannot identify a complex hybrid.
peterlin
Site Admin

Taxonomical Information/How do I have my orchid identified?

Post by peterlin » Thu Feb 15, 2007 9:23 am

Taxonomical Information --- OR --- How do I have my orchid identified?

From the AOS web site: "Judges see many new or infrequently seen species in the course of their service. With more than 30,000 natural species of orchids, identification becomes a challenge. Since judges are not scientifically trained taxonomists, the judging system relies on a cadre of taxonomic authorities. The experts noted here are officially designated by AOS based on stringent credentials. Their purpose is to assure that any awarded species is correctly identified."

The following link http://www.aos.org/aos/judging/judging.aspx?sec=5 will take you to the page where this is located.

Not only is this valuable for certain awards, but it would be handy for all members if they need to ID a plant in their collection.
Peter Lin, Admin
Big Leaf Orchids

rbedard
Customer

Post by rbedard » Thu Feb 15, 2007 11:40 am

Thanks Peter, this is useful ...
"If we could see the miracle of a single flower clearly our whole life would change." -- Buddha

Irma_S

Re: Taxonomical Information/How do I have my orchid identifi

Post by Irma_S » Fri Apr 01, 2011 9:35 pm

peterlin wrote:Taxonomical Information --- OR --- How do I have my orchid identified?

From the AOS web site: "Judges see many new or infrequently seen species in the course of their service. With more than 30,000 natural species of orchids, identification becomes a challenge. Since judges are not scientifically trained taxonomists, the judging system relies on a cadre of taxonomic authorities. The experts noted here are officially designated by AOS based on stringent credentials. Their purpose is to assure that any awarded species is correctly identified."

The following link http://www.aos.org/aos/judging/judging.aspx?sec=5 will take you to the page where this is located.

Not only is this valuable for certain awards, but it would be handy for all members if they need to ID a plant in their collection.

Peter, although this is a very old post I have to add here that the Species Identification Task Force ( as it is called now, SITF ) is to be used only for SPECIES, not hybrids. They have their hands full right now identifying species awarded by the AOS and this is why this group was created.

Return to “Identification”