Proud Daddy

Ben Belton
Customer

Proud Daddy

Post by Ben Belton » Tue Jan 24, 2012 9:12 pm

I'm proud of this picture. These are some of the first seedlings I'm deflasking from pods that I pollinated, I sowed the seed, I replated the protocorms, and I flasked the seedlings. Its taken awhile. They grow slow in my cool basement during the winter. Also when life gets busy, the lab work gets behind. These are probably a year later than they could have been. These aren't anything original. Both are remakes of crosses I love. Left is Chang Maw Jade and right is Joy Spring Canary. Sorry, there are no extras right now. :P

Carpe Diem

HIDLIGHTMIKE
Customer

Re: Proud Daddy

Post by HIDLIGHTMIKE » Tue Jan 24, 2012 9:15 pm

That's awesome, congrats!!! I'm partial to Chang Maw Jade, with those parents these are going to be very very good.
Celebrate diversity, love your friends & family, and grow great orchids!

phalaenopsis
Customer

Post by phalaenopsis » Tue Jan 24, 2012 9:24 pm

Good job Ben, I'm sure it's been one long trip with these. I'm just getting started, see you in like ?3 years? Hahah.

cjmack
Customer

Post by cjmack » Tue Jan 24, 2012 9:36 pm

Excellente'

zxyqu
Customer

Proud Daddy

Post by zxyqu » Tue Jan 24, 2012 9:39 pm

Congrats Ben. Mind if we see the parents of your crosses. Remakes almost always improve on the originals. Looking forward to seeing them bloom out.
>> J <<
You know it's a great forum when you search for "bellina" and it returns this from the server:
"The following words in your search query were ignored because they are too common words: bellina."

peterlin
Site Admin

Proud Daddy

Post by peterlin » Tue Jan 24, 2012 9:44 pm

Congrats
Peter Lin, Admin
Big Leaf Orchids

Pete

Post by Pete » Tue Jan 24, 2012 9:46 pm

Nice job, Ben.

A lot of time and patience invested right there.

:clap:

rdlsreno
Customer

Post by rdlsreno » Tue Jan 24, 2012 10:07 pm

Excellent Work Ben!

Ramon :D

Moist von Lipwig
Customer

Post by Moist von Lipwig » Tue Jan 24, 2012 10:08 pm

Don't know what happened to the post I just did, but I'll say it again.

Congrats! You done good!
Read all about my adventures in Going Postal and Making Money by Terry Pratchett.
Oh, did I mention I'm a horrible speller?
I have pallens to trade, anyone interested?

Moist

Ben Belton
Customer

Post by Ben Belton » Tue Jan 24, 2012 10:47 pm

I don't have cross picture for the JSC, but you all know what Joy Spring Canaries look like. The Chang Maw Jade was made with these parents. The Yungho Gelb Canary doesn't look the best here, but I never got a good picture of it.
Carpe Diem

rangiku

Post by rangiku » Tue Jan 24, 2012 11:13 pm

Congratulations, Ben, you have every right to proud. I look forward to seeing these grow up.

Knowing what you know now, what (if anything) would you do differently?

Call_Me_Bob
Customer

Post by Call_Me_Bob » Tue Jan 24, 2012 11:36 pm

congrats!!!
~Martin

Ben Belton
Customer

Post by Ben Belton » Tue Jan 24, 2012 11:36 pm

rangiku wrote:Knowing what you know now, what (if anything) would you do differently?

I'm not sure if anything specific I would do different except use premixed media and not try to make my own. Over the last few months, I've learned how to streamline a lot of things, and all the flasking and spreading and moving has gotten so much easier. So in the future it should go faster. I won't dread it as much because I've learned to do it much more easily. I'm not sure that makes much sense. Should help crosses get to this point in 2 years instead of 3.
Carpe Diem

naturegirl72
Site Admin

Post by naturegirl72 » Tue Jan 24, 2012 11:57 pm

Ben, my congrats, too! I'm thinking about trying it myself for years but in the end I was always afraid 'cause it sounded too complicated... I can imagine how much work it must have been 'til you got these healthy looking little orchids out of flask! :clap:
Bye-Bye, Sylvi & Olaf Image

Flickr!
Album Homepage

Equestris
Global Moderator

Post by Equestris » Wed Jan 25, 2012 12:40 am

Congrats Ben! :clap: :clap: Great to see those new seedlings isn't it? 8) 8) 8) I really love to deflask seedlings from my own plants and work, so I understand your feeling! :dance:

naturegirl72 wrote:Ben, my congrats, too! I'm thinking about trying it myself for years but in the end I was always afraid 'cause it sounded too complicated... I can imagine how much work it must have been 'til you got these healthy looking little orchids out of flask! :clap:
Sylvia, let's try that's not so difficult! I can do it in my kitchen for years now without problem. Got some contaminations of course but also many great flasks. As for Ben, the first cross for which I have done everything from pollinating to deflask was out of flask last year and now I'm waiting to see the first flower soon. Some more days/weeks to see that new cross! :-) Yesterday night, I have done some lab. work until late in the night. Have sowed one green capsule, move some protocorms to new flasks and seedlings to new flasks so they have more space to grow.
Alain

Return to “Propagation - Flasking, Cloning, Lab Techniques”