Pressure cooker help for stem props

Kipper

Re: Pressure cooker help for stem props

Post by Kipper » Sun Mar 26, 2017 8:03 pm

Hi Ben, I got a large (2 1/2' x 21/2' x 3') plastic clothing storage container and placed it on it's side on my kitchen counter. Basically sprayed the whole kitchen down with alcohol before beginning. If the jars still look this good on Wed. I will insert the first stems into 4 of them. I'll try to take some shots of the process.
If you get to thinking your a person of influence, Try ordering somebody else's dog around.

Ben Belton
Customer

Post by Ben Belton » Mon Mar 27, 2017 4:17 pm

OK Good Luck!
Carpe Diem

Kipper

Post by Kipper » Thu Mar 30, 2017 3:38 pm

Hi Guys, Here is the next episode in the 'stem prop' saga. After over a week the jars were looking great so today I inserted the first stems in several jars. I even sacrificed a stem from my Tiada Sunshine which hurt me a bit. Now all I need is patience (something I'm usually not so great at). Here are a few pics of the process. Not great pics. It's hard to hold the phone with alcohol covered latex gloves on. Keep your fingers crossed for me! Kipper
s1.jpg
s2.jpg
s3.jpg
s7.jpg
s4.jpg
Time for a beer! :drinking:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
If you get to thinking your a person of influence, Try ordering somebody else's dog around.

Ben Belton
Customer

Post by Ben Belton » Thu Mar 30, 2017 4:12 pm

Good luck. Your plastic container isn't a very closed system, but you might have good luck with it.
Carpe Diem

peterlin
Site Admin

Post by peterlin » Thu Mar 30, 2017 4:33 pm

Big first step. Congratulations
Peter Lin, Admin
Big Leaf Orchids

Kipper

Post by Kipper » Thu Mar 30, 2017 4:53 pm

Thanks Peter,
I found a post on the orchid board from a guy who does them without a closed system. The pics of the containers with the saran wrap and the cotton on top is how he deals with the final sterilization. Two layers of wrap with a hole in the bottom layer. A cotton pad soaked in bleach between the two. Let rest for an hour and remove. The fumes sterilize the container and you cap and keep your fingers crossed. He said he has about a 90% success rate with this process. We'll see.

Return to “Propagation - Flasking, Cloning, Lab Techniques”