Vertical expansion

Exchange your experience growing phalaenopsis in a greenhouse here. Also share your experience on what works for you with others.
peterlin
Site Admin

Vertical expansion

Post by peterlin » Fri Mar 28, 2014 10:05 am

Running out of room plus I fear the crown rot of these Phal gigantea hybrid. On the bench these big leaves are on top of each other.

There is a tray to catch run off water. However I really can't water this in place. It's not quite the same as watering mounted plants where is more surface area. Right now I still need to remove entire tray to water. I expect the watering frequency is once a week or two.

This is not tilted but you see I need to elevate gigantea for its pendulous spike to develop.

Peter Lin, Admin
Big Leaf Orchids

hbozeman
Customer

Re: Vertical expansion

Post by hbozeman » Fri Mar 28, 2014 11:52 am

I'm guessing those with spikes headed 'upward' will eventually turn downward due to gravity...or will you stake them?
Hugh

Flush, wash, and SAY NO!!!
(Except for buying/growing orchids)

peterlin
Site Admin

Post by peterlin » Fri Mar 28, 2014 12:56 pm

I don't stake this. We are not supposed to manipulate plants with pendulous spikes. Staking should be done so that the spike grow naturally downward.
Peter Lin, Admin
Big Leaf Orchids

ryan820
Customer

Post by ryan820 » Fri Mar 28, 2014 2:40 pm

Is this your personal collection? Maybe it's time for a re design! Or a thinning sale? [FACE WITH STUCK-OUT TONGUE AND WINKING EYE]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

peterlin
Site Admin

Post by peterlin » Fri Mar 28, 2014 2:55 pm

Hugh -
I was speaking from the point of view of showing plants for judging.

See Adrienne's response here in an earlier topic
http://www.phalaenopsis.net/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=11419

Manipulation also had to do with staking. Below is from the 2010 AOS Judging handbook that was available in PDF form. Here's the link to the 2011 Handbook; there was one minor change pertaining to judges suspension or termination: http://aos.org/images/img_content/PDFs/ ... e_2011.pdf

"Inflorescences may be staked to permit them to appear to best advantage, but staking should be as unobtrusive
as possible and may be removed temporarily during judging if the judging team feels this is necessary to
evaluate the inflorescence. "

"An inflorescence may be disqualified by judges if it is evident that an
attempt has been made to force a flower mechanically to a more desirable conformation. "
Peter Lin, Admin
Big Leaf Orchids

hbozeman
Customer

Post by hbozeman » Fri Mar 28, 2014 3:15 pm

It looks like you have several plants in pics 1 and 2 whose leaves droop downward, but the inflorescences grow 180 degrees opposite, or at a right angle to the leaves. I have a few in my collection that are doing this, too. My question is, will they continue to grow in this fashion, or will gravity take over, and the infl's finally droop downward, too? I'm guessing that they will eventually droop down.
Hugh

Flush, wash, and SAY NO!!!
(Except for buying/growing orchids)

peterlin
Site Admin

Vertical expansion

Post by peterlin » Fri Mar 28, 2014 3:50 pm

hbozeman wrote:It looks like you have several plants in pics 1 and 2 whose leaves droop downward, but the inflorescences grow 180 degrees opposite, or at a right angle to the leaves.
They are this way because they were grown on the bench previously. This is a new setup that I am trying. I don't plan on showing these plants so presentation is not a concern. To answer your question, new spike will grow towards light and downward. When keeping these gigantea hybrid (also modesta, javanica) in pots, you have to check for spike - and sometimes help them a bit. Otherwise the spike could go into media. Phal gigantea hybrid - older plant can correct itself. Younger plant with shorter spike will have buds develop in media. For example, this one I found recently.

Peter Lin, Admin
Big Leaf Orchids

brenda
Customer

Post by brenda » Fri Mar 28, 2014 4:10 pm

Just this past weekend I went vertical with a bunch of my phals. I have quite a few hanging in pots. I wanted to put them in one area with all the ones mounted on cork bark so that I could water them more often. Making more room was a plus too.
Experience is that marvelous thing that enables you to recognize a mistake when you make it again. -- F. P. Jones

doreen

Post by doreen » Sat Mar 29, 2014 9:00 am

peterlin wrote:
hbozeman wrote:It looks like you have several plants in pics 1 and 2 whose leaves droop downward, but the inflorescences grow 180 degrees opposite, or at a right angle to the leaves.
When keeping these gigantea hybrid (also modesta, javanica) in pots, you have to check for spike - and sometimes help them a bit. Otherwise the spike could go into media. Phal gigantea hybrid - older plant can correct itself. Younger plant with shorter spike will have buds develop in media.
Hello:

I have a P. Ruey Lin Fairy that is producing a vertical inflorescense. When I noticed it in the tray it was in, I moved it to a smaller stand in the kitchen eating area. I can keep a closer eye on it there and have the inflorescense hanging over the side of the shelf instead of working it's way through the foliage of the other phals in the tray.

The inflorescense on my P. javanica died because it started out buried in the potting media and then grew out over the side of the pot. I think the base just stayed too moist. This plant had bloomed previously from this bloom stem. I have some of those plastic "net" pots, I will be repotting the P. javanica back into moss into one of these pots so the bloom stem can just go where it likes.

jtrmd

Post by jtrmd » Sat Mar 29, 2014 9:22 pm

I used to grow my bellina's,violacea's, and hybrids like this. I went on vacation and don't know what happened, but they all toppled over. I still have some with scared leaves, so now I am looking of another solution. I get a lot of condensation in the GH during winter that drips at nigh. It happens noo mater how many fans I have, or how high I crank the heat.

doreen

Post by doreen » Sun Mar 30, 2014 6:58 am

jtrmd wrote:I used to grow my bellina's,violacea's, and hybrids like this. I went on vacation and don't know what happened, but they all toppled over...
Hello:

This is good to know. In other pots I use large chunks of pumice (about the size of dimes) to weigh down pots when I use a light medium. I'll try the large pumice with the net pots and moss and let you all know how that works out.

peterlin
Site Admin

Post by peterlin » Sun Mar 30, 2014 8:00 am

Yeah, these will fall off the trays if the moss gets too dry. Hopefully that won't happen to me.
Peter Lin, Admin
Big Leaf Orchids

jtrmd

Post by jtrmd » Sun Mar 30, 2014 8:53 am

peterlin wrote:Yeah, these will fall off the trays if the moss gets too dry. Hopefully that won't happen to me.

I think thats what happened, since I was gone long enough for the mix to get bone dry. Then all the fans took over like a tornado.

rangiku

Post by rangiku » Sun Mar 30, 2014 9:29 am

Maybe you can wire the pots into the trays.

jtrmd

Post by jtrmd » Sun Mar 30, 2014 1:45 pm

I am working on a new shelf, and was going to do both, stones at the bottom of the pots and wire. I hate staring at the busted leaves that are still on some of them. At least my gigantea x Annapolis only has a perfectly round hole from a stake in one of the leaves, but the others that went over tore in spots or bruised.

Return to “Greenhouse/Commercial Growing, Tips”