Setting up a heat mat (again)

Exchange your experience growing phalaenopsis in a greenhouse here. Also share your experience on what works for you with others.
peterlin
Site Admin

Post by peterlin » Thu Dec 11, 2014 11:00 pm

I have a few hydrofarm heat mat 48 in x 20 in. Each consumes 107 watts and large enough for 4 seedlings trays. Although I have underbench heat, my greenhouse is set for 65 F at night. It's just warm enough to keep the plants through the winter. I want to try keeping a few plants at warmer temperature. Most novelty phals like minimum temperature at 70 F.

I have couple digital thermostat for heat mat on order, should arrive this Saturday.

Very excited to see couple Phal gigantea hybrid in spike. Phal gigantea x Yaphon Sir, and Phal gigantea x Brother Ambo Passion.
Peter Lin, Admin
Big Leaf Orchids

brenda
Customer

Re: Setting up a heat mat (again)

Post by brenda » Fri Dec 12, 2014 4:30 am

Those mats look nice. My greenhouse goes down to 60 at night. The mini phals; lobbii, parishii, gibbosa love it, but not so great for some of the others.
But they seem to hang in there.

How do you do under the bench heating?
Experience is that marvelous thing that enables you to recognize a mistake when you make it again. -- F. P. Jones

peterlin
Site Admin

Post by peterlin » Fri Dec 12, 2014 9:36 am

brenda wrote:How do you do under the bench heating?
When I visited a few northern greenhouse, I found growers who use recirculating water pipes to keep their greenhouse warm. One greenhouse grower in Iowa used these orange water pipe to keep his greenhouse warm in the winter. He had pipes bury under gravels. You will need a boiler, water pump, to keep water circulated. Some lucky greenhouse owner was able to plumb this setup to their hot water heater if their greenhouse isn't too far from their house.

I took this idea to my greenhouse builder. He recommended metal finn tube pipes and hung these under greenhouse bench for heating. This was 7 years ago and we couldn't get the manufactures of the bendable orange tubes to let us know if they are UV protected. Let me see if I can find pictures I took of my finn tube pipes here
Peter Lin, Admin
Big Leaf Orchids

Brian Bilyeu
Customer

Post by Brian Bilyeu » Fri Dec 12, 2014 1:17 pm

I set up my heat mat from Farmtek, 18" x10', and my phal seedlings started growing new leaves. I'm hoping to save fuel costs, not having to keep the entire greenhouse that warm.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

peterlin
Site Admin

Post by peterlin » Tue Dec 16, 2014 8:10 pm

Photo update. I recently upgraded my saltwater tank to LED light. So I have this T5 4 bulb fixtures that I'm using to illuminate these novelty seedlings. Right now the photo period is set for 12 hours, 6 am to 6 pm. Heat mat setting is 78F. These are seedlings and stem prop's that I like to keep a closer eye on. I also plan to fertilize these more often.

Although the light looks bright in person, I'm not sure if it's sufficient. We do get cloudy days in the winter. Maybe it will help with supplementing natural light these plants receive in the greenhouse.

I would really need an enclosure with longer photo period to see if I can bloom novelty phals in the winter. But I got to be practical.

Peter Lin, Admin
Big Leaf Orchids

Return to “Greenhouse/Commercial Growing, Tips”