Growing mini Phalaenopsis again

Exchange your experience growing phalaenopsis in a greenhouse here. Also share your experience on what works for you with others.
peterlin
Site Admin

Growing mini Phalaenopsis again

Post by peterlin » Wed Oct 28, 2015 9:14 am

Well, I acquired a dozen small Phal phalaenopsis species again. I'm keep this box in the middle my greenhouse - and I'm going to try to keep these water everyday. Ones on small tree fern maybe not everyday, but every other day. These small species just don't like to be neglected. They are cute and they don't take up much space.

One in bloom is Phal deliciosa 'Highjack' from Annette. I had it mounted on a small pecan branch.

I also got a bunch other miniature orchid species recently to try. A lot of them came in spike so I will have some flowers to look forward to. As they come into bloom I will update pictures.
Peter Lin, Admin
Big Leaf Orchids

naturegirl72
Site Admin

Re: Growing mini Phalaenopsis again

Post by naturegirl72 » Wed Oct 28, 2015 11:08 am

Peter - looks great! What happened to your bathroom experiment? The glass... I remember something...
Bye-Bye, Sylvi & Olaf Image

Flickr!
Album Homepage

peterlin
Site Admin

Post by peterlin » Wed Oct 28, 2015 12:02 pm

naturegirl72 wrote:Peter - looks great! What happened to your bathroom experiment? The glass... I remember something...
That failed when I took it to the greenhouse when weather is warmer. Phal appendiculata got cooked inside of the glass when I place it in the greenhouse.
Peter Lin, Admin
Big Leaf Orchids

zxyqu
Customer

Post by zxyqu » Wed Oct 28, 2015 7:41 pm

Best of luck Peter. Every time I try the small species I kill them after a season/year. I'm sure you'll do better

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
>> J <<
You know it's a great forum when you search for "bellina" and it returns this from the server:
"The following words in your search query were ignored because they are too common words: bellina."

naturegirl72
Site Admin

Post by naturegirl72 » Wed Oct 28, 2015 11:50 pm

We have all the small ones still in our vivarium. Must be 5-6 years now. It includes lowii, appendiculata, deliciosa, taenialis, braceana, wilsonii, parishii, parishii var. alba, finleyii ... and its primaries, like lowii x braceana, appendiculata x finleyii, stobartiana x finleyi and more. Almost all are mounted or clipped to the sides bareroots. They can get dry for a day but rarely longer. Quick wet / dry cycles. (ventilation) And it never gets hotter inside than probably 26°C in Summer, most of the year around 20°C.
Fingers crossed, Peter!!! They look good :D - And sorry for the glass experiment...

Flickr!
Album Homepage

ThisSideofParadise

Post by ThisSideofParadise » Thu Oct 29, 2015 6:21 pm

Naturegirl do you do anything different in the winter.

naturegirl72
Site Admin

Post by naturegirl72 » Thu Oct 29, 2015 11:45 pm

Hi - No - just due to the changes of the season the temps never go as high as in summer and in the night they can drop down to about 17°C. But I change nothing, also not the watering.

Flickr!
Album Homepage

peterlin
Site Admin

Post by peterlin » Fri Oct 30, 2015 9:22 am

Miniature species like Phal appendiculata does very well growing indoor. Han grew his beautiful if I recall in Davis, CA.

At the moment I don't have an indoor setup that I would attend to watering on regular basis. One greenhouse is all I can handle at the moment. So when weather gets warm I took my mini terrarium to the greenhouse - and neglect to pay attention to the temperature difference between day and night in an enclosure.
Peter Lin, Admin
Big Leaf Orchids

theshatterings

Post by theshatterings » Fri Oct 30, 2015 6:03 pm

In my experience, appendiculata is really easy. I keep it between 70-80F with high humidity under a dome. That's about it. It can flower year round but I usually cut the spikes because I'm worried about killing it. It's carrying a pod now and still keeps wanting to flower (see pic below)...

-han
my blog

Return to “Greenhouse/Commercial Growing, Tips”