Q about phals

Area for discussion of any topics. Introduce yourself to other members.
Botan

Q about phals

Post by Botan » Thu Apr 30, 2015 1:21 pm

Is there really such phal as 'Happy Venlo'? I'm starting to wonder because there is so few information about it, and also didn't find it on RHS as it's written in the article.
http://www.justaddiceorchids.com/Just-A ... etherlands

Is this really Phalaenopsis Venetian Peach
And which one is the real, because i can see at least 3 different plants under the same name. :roll:

Ben Belton
Customer

Re: Q about phals

Post by Ben Belton » Sat May 09, 2015 9:42 pm

I couldn't find a Happy Venlo either. Sounds like a crock.
Carpe Diem

Botan

Post by Botan » Sun May 10, 2015 11:13 am

https://flic.kr/p/buJjAu
Then what is the name of this plant. It has huge flowers, nicely overlapping petals and it's commercially available.

Botan

Post by Botan » Sat May 16, 2015 10:31 pm

Is it worth it buying phal without clonal name? I've found Tsay's Evergreen in which I felt in love when I saw pictures of 'Nibble's jade' here, but it comes quite expencive for me, that's why I'm wondering.

peterlin
Site Admin

Q about phals

Post by peterlin » Sun May 17, 2015 7:16 am

It's okay if you just want to enjoy flowers. NoID (they had names before) are usually cloned because they are good flowers. But for hybridizing or serious collectors, we like to know their names - not make up names for marketing purpose. Otherwise it's no different for you to make up names for your orchids.
Peter Lin, Admin
Big Leaf Orchids

Botan

Post by Botan » Sun May 17, 2015 9:58 am

Thank you for the responce Peter, but I'm not sure for which question is the answer. I've grown phals since forever but just now I'm getting more interested and I have a lot of questions that may sound pretty stupid. I'm trying to hold my horses on buying NOID's, but some have very desirable characteristics which I would like to use further more plus they are way cheaper and I can afford them. Also somethimes I got lucky and end up with named variety, and not just some commercially grown but nice as Phal. Chiada Stacy 'Sweetheart' and Phal. Big Lip Sparkle.

With Tsay's Evergreen I want to add something serious to my collection, but I don't know is it really something serious if there is no clonal name.

peterlin
Site Admin

Post by peterlin » Sun May 17, 2015 10:55 am

Clone name isn't as important if you get a registered name. It's a nice flower so it is cloned. Flower is not unique. But if price is right and you like it, why not?
Peter Lin, Admin
Big Leaf Orchids

Botan

Post by Botan » Sat Jun 06, 2015 10:59 am

Thank you Peter!

Is there a difference between CC var. alba and CC var. flava, and if there is what is it? :confusion-questionmarks:

peterlin
Site Admin

Post by peterlin » Sun Jun 07, 2015 4:06 pm

Botan wrote:Thank you Peter!

Is there a difference between CC var. alba and CC var. flava, and if there is what is it? :confusion-questionmarks:
There is no difference. Correct name should be Phal cornu-cervi var flava (which means yellow). However in trade, var alba (which means white, lack of color) is often used to describe lack of red pigments (spots, bars). Even though this is not correct, it is widely used. Variety is loosely used in trade to describe the flower form/color is not the same as typical color form.
Peter Lin, Admin
Big Leaf Orchids

Botan

Post by Botan » Sat Jun 13, 2015 4:05 am

Ah, as I tough. I took the possibility that alba may lack any spots, and presence of yellow spots on flava which could not be quite visible in pictures, so I had to ask to be sure. :)

I received from a dear friend the mericloned variety Phal. Chingruey's Blood-red Sun 'CH' but I can't find any information about such of clone on this grex. Could it be just a typo from the CR (sortage of Ching Ruey)? Both letters are similar. :think:

Botan

Post by Botan » Sun Jun 14, 2015 10:57 pm

I'm lost again with those names. :|
In Schwerter I found my phal. as Big Lip Sparkle, but then I wasn't much aware of the trade names and their low quality, and now I can't find the real name of my phal or at least the cross, because it's out of stock and removed from the shop.
It was something with Phal. Yu Pin Fireworks. :shifty:

Botan

Post by Botan » Fri Jun 26, 2015 5:48 am

My confusion grows bigger everyday! :D
https://www.rhs.org.uk/about-the-rhs/pu ... 13-low-res
Page 244-245 those parents P. Misty Green and P. Ambonosa just can't produce such offspring. I'm dead sure the plant in the picture is Phal. Chiada Francis 'Picotee' (P. I-Hsin Sunflower x P. Taisuco Firebird)
Am I right?

peterlin
Site Admin

Post by peterlin » Fri Jun 26, 2015 7:52 am

Thank you for the link. I only glanced the article quickly. What is aware of gardens merit? Is that like the ribbon award here?

Again, it's difficult to id flower with photo. Photos don't give you flower size. And growing condition would cause flower to look different. You also have no way to identify length of inflorescences and if they branch. Foliage appearance.
Peter Lin, Admin
Big Leaf Orchids

Return to “Open Discussion”