What criteria defines a "mini"?

Area for discussion of any topics. Introduce yourself to other members.
NHguy03276

What criteria defines a "mini"?

Post by NHguy03276 » Mon Sep 14, 2015 10:19 am

I recently attended the NHOS "Phal Day" event. I had a great time and picked up a couple new orchids including a P. Tying Shin Baby Smile (chingruery's fancy X Tying Shin Cupid).

I noticed it was marked "mini" but with flower size of over 2" and average leaf size of 7" it is only slightly smaller than many of my other Phals, and much larger than anything I have that is called a "mini". Most of the plants I have that I've bought as "mini"s have a leaf size of under 3" and a flower size of about 1".

So what defines a micro, a mini, a average, or other sizes in phals?

peterlin
Site Admin

Re: What criteria defines a "mini"?

Post by peterlin » Mon Sep 14, 2015 8:30 pm

P. Tying Shin Baby Smile (chingruery's fancy X Tying Shin Cupid) is not a mini. Plant does get large and will produce many flowers.

At best it probably should be classified as multiflora - with flowers no larger than 2.5 inches.

mini's usually describes Phal equestris hybrid with flower size at 1 inches (2.54 cm) or small.

micro is not used with phalaenopsis. These flowers you would need a magnify glass to see. Maybe 1 cm or less.
Peter Lin, Admin
Big Leaf Orchids

NHguy03276

Re: What criteria defines a "mini"?

Post by NHguy03276 » Tue Sep 15, 2015 10:47 am

Thanks you Peter,

I didn't think P. Tying Shin Baby Smile was a mini, but it is better to verify than assume... I suspect it was a accidental or intentional mis-lable, as it was in with some mini's, and the label was a sticker with the word mini on it. Likely just transferred in the moving process...

So there are no Phal "micros"? Good to know. I've seen some "micros" in other orchid groups, and thought there would be...

Return to “Open Discussion”