lobbii

Area for discussion of any topics. Introduce yourself to other members.
Ben Belton
Customer

lobbii

Post by Ben Belton » Sat Dec 26, 2015 5:35 pm

I want to grow lobbii. It is not feasible for me to grow them mounted, but I am not having much luck with them potted up. They slowly wither away. Any advice? Maybe if I repotted them frequently. I have them in all moss in small pots.
Carpe Diem

doreen

Re: lobbii

Post by doreen » Sun Dec 27, 2015 10:25 am

I have one small plant of P. lobbii that is mounted that I have had for a year. It bloomed earlier this year and now it has a single bud on it.

The growing area for the P. lobbii is under lights and I have it in a glass container. I believe that humidity is important for this species. The phal is misted every day and drenched with water every week. It gets fertilized with all my other phals.

peterlin
Site Admin

Post by peterlin » Sun Dec 27, 2015 9:46 pm

Ben - your best bet is to try one in open mix (like small size bark) in clay pot. This species does well with fast wet and dry. Mounted plants do best because roots dry off quickly. I have an established plant mounted. I watered it daily and it bloomed well. My problem is that I usually failed to water daily/frequently - and eventually the plant withered away. I also had small seedlings in moss but I accidentally water them too much and eventually they rotted.

If you have a large established plants with strong root system, you can get away with watering once every 2 days. However humidity needs to be high so that the plant is not stressed in the long haul.
Peter Lin, Admin
Big Leaf Orchids

Ben Belton
Customer

Post by Ben Belton » Sun Dec 27, 2015 10:10 pm

Yeah, that is my problem is being able to water it frequently if mounted or in a pot with larger bark.
Carpe Diem

HIDLIGHTMIKE
Customer

Post by HIDLIGHTMIKE » Mon Dec 28, 2015 8:05 am

Ben, I think you could grow this in a smaller pot, sort of the way you've done stem props in 3.5" square pots. A mix of Orchiata, I'd go with the smallest size, along with a little good NZS in the bottom and top of the pot. Layered mix, basically.
Celebrate diversity, love your friends & family, and grow great orchids!

RandyT
Customer

Post by RandyT » Mon Dec 28, 2015 11:06 am

A friend of mine grows his parishii on a piece of weed barrier in a large tray. A piece of weed barrier in a bulb pan would work also. This is the weed barrier that is made of poly. He has his under regular irrigation/fertigation and grows mainly catts and dens. Massive root system and loads of flowers. He likes to sprinkle roots with dolomite lime several times a year too. The weed barrier stays wet for a while, maybe a day or two, but the roots are totally exposed to the air at all times.

I have some parishii growing in pots in large bark. Roots grow only on top of the media and spill out over the next pot. Next year I'll mount them or grow them in bulb pans with weed barrier.

My lobbii are mounted and grow, but don't thrive unless I water them frequently. So obviously they suffer because I don't water frequently. My nephew grows some mounted, waters frequently and has great results.

My lobbii in moss all died, too much water/not enough air.

I tried to grow thailandica from flask in the weed barrier/bulb pan method. Once it worked well, the next time, it was very rainy and dark and they all died. The failure was with very small plants, basically roots with tiny leaves about 1mm long. I had pressed as many roots as I could against the weed barrier and it stayed wet too long during the heavy rains that lasted about 4 weeks. It actually did well during the first 2 weeks of rain so I left them unchecked. After the rains ended a couple weeks later, they were all dying. I feel that if I had only pushed the root ends against the weed barrier and left most of the roots in the air, the plants would have survived.

pinonmountains
Customer

Post by pinonmountains » Tue Dec 29, 2015 3:24 pm

Just my two cents to the subject: I experimented with and grew lobbii, parishii and thailandica plants for years.

The lobbii plants liked to be mounted (used hardwood and cork; tree fern stays too wet) with very little sphagnum moss. Potting even with larger bark ultimately failed. I sprayed my plants every day or second day and they grew happily and flowered reliably for years hanging in a normal room. This ended during an extended business trip, ... But the plants were responding positively to the mounted cultivation and hung in for an extended time period. In the winter time, I usually exclusively sprayed the plants.

With parishii I had the best success with small plastic pots and rough bark (orchiata, rough pine), Styrofoam chips as drainage at the bottom of the pot, some sphagnum on top. Usually the plants developed a large root system in a wet/dry cycle. The plants were kept in an large orchid window for years, until I gave them to a friend.

Overall, the plants are more complicated to grow than other species, but then surprisingly robust also, in a way. A little experimenting based on the conditions helps. But lobbii "worked" and "ticked" differently than parishii.

Hope this helps.

Greetings, Matthias

peterlin
Site Admin

Post by peterlin » Thu Jan 07, 2016 8:11 pm

Here is a photo of a Phal lobbii making a comeback. It's growing a leaf. Nearly lost it from last year.

Peter Lin, Admin
Big Leaf Orchids

macha

Post by macha » Sat Jan 09, 2016 3:47 pm

After year in pots I moved my almost dead lobbii seedligns to black locust bark with cover of moss. They started to grow immediately. Now they prepare to bloom. Jaroslav

Return to “Open Discussion”