new RHS orchid registration form

Area for discussion of any topics. Introduce yourself to other members.
peterlin
Site Admin

new RHS orchid registration form

Post by peterlin » Sat Mar 17, 2018 9:03 am

In order to comply with new legislation in the UK regarding credit card information, the RHS will no longer able to accept credit card details on application forms and in emails.

Instead, once a registration(s) has been accepted, you will be e-mailed a link to a secure Worldpay system to enter credit card details for the registration fee(s). This is much more secure than sending credit card numbers via e-mail or post.

Unfortunately this means that soon any emails that contain credit card numbers will be blocked and deleted automatically by the RHS system. So please do not include credit card details in any emails or letters to orchid registration. A new downloadable application form is also available that contains revised instructions, and will no longer request credit card details. Please use the new form.

https://www.rhs.org.uk/plants/pdfs/plan ... ration.pdf
Peter Lin, Admin
Big Leaf Orchids

raybark

Re: new RHS orchid registration form

Post by raybark » Sat Mar 17, 2018 10:20 am

I'm glad to hear this. One should NEVER provide sensitive information via email!

Folks don't seem to understand that an email is not like a letter that goes directly from sender to recipient; it is sent to the entire internet, and it is your email server that "grabs" it from that space for delivery to you. Meanwhile, the electronic bits are still out there where anyone with the right combination of credentials (i.e., unauthorized and illegal) can also grab it. Eventually, in collisions with other packets of data, the information will be degraded to the point of being unreadable, and some packets incorporate a TTL (time to live) factor that deletes the data after so-many hops, but I have no idea if or how that works for email.

I still get folks emailing me credit card info for orders.
Ray Barkalow, Orchid Iconoclast
Using science & logic to improve orchid growing

naturegirl72
Site Admin

Re: new RHS orchid registration form

Post by naturegirl72 » Fri Mar 23, 2018 1:26 pm

Thank's for the information, Peter - good to know!
Bye-Bye, Sylvi & Olaf Image

Flickr!
Album Homepage

Return to “Open Discussion”