Forum Policy : No soliciting - plant sale on this forum

Area for discussion of any topics. Introduce yourself to other members.
peterlin
Site Admin

Forum Policy : No soliciting - plant sale on this forum

Post by peterlin » Tue Mar 16, 2010 8:08 am

Hi everyone,
This is a friendly reminder that this forum is sponsored by a commerical vendor - myself, Big Leaf Orchids. I have very few rules. In 2003 I created this forum to promote phalaenopsis, and devoted alot of my personal time to keep this forum running.

I am writing this to have a policy in place that soliciting plant sale via private message is no longer tolerated. As the administrator of this forum, your private message is not private to me, the admin. I found one commercial member who actively pm other members to sell his plants. I have had other members who complaint to me about this commercial vendor pm them to sell his plants. I have been tolerant because I thought it was for the good of the community, where most of you are my customers - and that this member is a great contributor of excellent photos and give great growing advices.

As I write this, I am frustrated for many reasons. Mostly, I am frustrated with the change of this forum software and browser that cause many of you login problem. So I spent time to try to understand the problem because it is frustrating to me that the problem exists for some but not others. As I troubleshoot and learn from mistake on this issue, I made changes to forum cookie - so many of you cannot login. Often, this issue is caused by members' computer. Now aday, the browser cached pages of website to load quicker. As a result clear board cookies doesn't always fix the login problem. There is also reason that browser security (not accepting cookie) would also prevent one from login.

This forum is a love and hate project of mine. I love it because it brings me closer to my customers and other phalaenopsis growers. But this forum is also a distraction to my business because it takes away my time from repotting plants, working on my sales, and spending time with my family. I cannot help but reading the forum whenever I am on the computer.

I am only human and I apologize for venting my frustration in the open. It is too easy for me to shut down this forum and I am not going to do that. So for now, I am asking that you respect the policy from using this forum's resources to sell plants. I generally don't mind my customers selling a few extra plants to free up their collection. Or if you were approached by other members if you have certain plants to sell. I am frustrated to have a grower - who has his own website - to actively promote his plants in private message behind my back. I do not wish to spend my personal time to police private messages. I like to think that most members respect the common courtesy, etiquette to do the right thing.

Sincerely,

Peter Lin
Peter Lin, Admin
Big Leaf Orchids

Rob Westergard
Customer

Re: Forum Policy : No soliciting - plant sale on this forum

Post by Rob Westergard » Tue Apr 16, 2013 6:47 am

Knowing that this is your business, I find it awful that someone did this. I rarely come in here anymore, but to see this.. just horrible...

Jayfar
Customer

Post by Jayfar » Tue Apr 16, 2013 7:44 am

Rob Westergard wrote:Knowing that this is your business, I find it awful that someone did this. I rarely come in here anymore, but to see this.. just horrible...
Really, that is kind of low. I may have guessed who the dealer in question is, but I'm not going to say. Peter didn't out him by name, so it certainly wouldn't be proper for me to do so either. I believe his last post here was just days before Peter posted the above 3 years ago.

raybark

Post by raybark » Tue Apr 16, 2013 8:08 am

I have never done so here, but the only time I have ever PM'ed someone with an offer is when they have publicly posted a "Does any know where I can get a...", or have PM'ed me first.

To hear that someone is actively soliciting sales that way is pretty bad.

I also "like" it when folks email me for advice about something, then turn around and make their purchase elsewhere.

Ray Barkalow
Sent using Tapatalk
Ray Barkalow, Orchid Iconoclast
Using science & logic to improve orchid growing

Francis

Post by Francis » Tue Apr 16, 2013 8:51 am

Same feeling here.

When I first registered here, I asked Peter if I could put the link to my website on my signature, and he was very clear that he would not mind as long as I did not actively encouraged people to go the link nor did I contact people to sell any plants.

I would not have dreamt of doing so, as this is a forum which, as Peter said, is sponsored through his own business 'Big Leaf Orchids'.

I did ask a question on a thread to a member, but Peter replied that that particular person had to be banned from the forum for contacting people through PMs constantly trying to sell his own plants on this forum, which I think was a disgusting thing to do, and totally disrespectful to both, Peter as the owner of this forum, and the rest of the forum users, who had not asked to be contacted anyway.

Needless to say, I applaud Peter for encouraging people in this forum to make their own crosses and hybrids, and for being so generous as to letting us show what we have and (sometimes) 'selling off' extras and so on, but also for his very clear rules, which I think are just common sense and should be respected. As they old saying goes' if you can't stand the heat, get out of the kitchen'.

Francis
http://www.phalaenopsisandmore.co.uk
With the kind permission of Peter lin

ronan

Post by ronan » Tue Apr 16, 2013 9:54 am

peterlin wrote:Hi everyone,
As the administrator of this forum, your private message is not private to me, the admin.
Peter Lin
really?! i don't really use pm on this board but i thaught that were not so simple to access to private messages...

rangiku

Post by rangiku » Tue Apr 16, 2013 11:52 am

ronan, similar to company email systems, admins have access. I have neither the strength or desire to do so.

Ben Belton
Customer

Post by Ben Belton » Tue Apr 16, 2013 1:41 pm

FWIW this was originally posted in 2010.
Carpe Diem

cjmack
Customer

Post by cjmack » Tue Apr 16, 2013 1:42 pm

UMMMM ya'll are a tad late I would say with making comments. LOL
That entry from Peter was made in March of 2010. DUHHHHHHH! :lol:

hbozeman
Customer

Post by hbozeman » Tue Apr 16, 2013 1:53 pm

Is it a recurring problem?
Hugh

Flush, wash, and SAY NO!!!
(Except for buying/growing orchids)

rangiku

Post by rangiku » Tue Apr 16, 2013 3:29 pm

No, nothing since then.

TheBlazingAugust
Customer

Post by TheBlazingAugust » Tue Apr 16, 2013 4:02 pm

I was wondering why a 2010 thread was dragged up. :think:
Love is Love is Love is

~Cody~

Jayfar
Customer

Post by Jayfar » Tue Apr 16, 2013 4:12 pm

TheBlazingAugust wrote:I was wondering why a 2010 thread was dragged up. :think:
Yep, I had pointed that out further up-thread. The person involved has apparently been gone from this forum for over 3 years. I can't imagine the issue recurring with the good folks who post here regularly these days.

Return to “Open Discussion”