Project Lepanthes Glass :)

windows, Hydrohut, basements, terrarria etc
naturegirl72
Site Admin

Project Lepanthes Glass :)

Post by naturegirl72 » Sun Dec 11, 2011 3:59 pm

For a very long time we have been interested in growing Lepanthes species but haven't been sure whether we cut provide them with the necessary conditions. All we heard is they love it rather cool and humid and their habitus is very delicate and tiny.
While being on a pre-Christmas shopping tour ;) we saw one of "Grandma's" preserving jars - and another handicraft work idea was born.
The idea is to have a clay tube (which contains water) hanging in the jar, its surface wrapped with moss. To produce high humidity a bit seramis on the ground as a kind of drainage which keeps also water and on top a sheet of moss to have a nice green environment. The invention part for the electronic technician was to build a topping with a fan, small wholes to provide appropriate ventilation and the possibility to fix additional Leds to add light if necessary.
We don't own any Lepanthes, yet - and probably that's better ;) (to be true we already ordered some)
This way we can check first whether the moss can stay alive in this nano terrarium :lol:
Now you can see a step by step photo series how the glass was assembled:

1- The preserving jar with coffee mug to have a dimension comparison ;)

2- Jar, lid and clay tube

3- Lid with wholes and fan

4- Jar, tube with moss and seramis on the ground

5- clay tube with water seen from above

6- test buildup with adjustable power supply to find out the best rotation speed of the fan (not too much air movement, not too less ;) ) - and German 0.5l beerbottle for dimension comparison :lol: (emptied soon afterwards by electronic technician)

7- clay tube doesn't touch ground

8- final setup - to be continued
Bye-Bye, Sylvi & Olaf Image

Flickr!
Album Homepage

Pete

Re: Project Lepanthes Glass :)

Post by Pete » Sun Dec 11, 2011 6:23 pm

Ingenious!

Hope it works the way you want it to.

Dendian

Post by Dendian » Sun Dec 11, 2011 8:03 pm

Amazing ingenuity! Keep us updated how things work!
:D Dian :D

loujost
Customer

Post by loujost » Sun Dec 11, 2011 9:07 pm

Wow, that is amazing!! Lepanthes are among my favorite orchids. We have 100 species of Lepanthes in the forests of my valley (Upper Rio Pastaza valley)!! Which Lepanthes will you be growing? I think this may be too small for most species. Yes, most Lepanthes like to be cool, but not all, so be careful. Anyway I am sure you have done your research and have chosen good species for this. Good luck!!

naturegirl72
Site Admin

Post by naturegirl72 » Mon Dec 12, 2011 4:07 pm

Pete, Dian - thank you four your encouraging words - we will keep you updated :)

Lou, you're really living in orchid paradise ;)

We were thinking about L. calodycticon, L. telipogoniflora and L. gargoyla. It's pretty hard for us to get them over here. The first and the second we saw over here looked pretty tiny... as for gargoyla - we've never seen it in real...
We thought that our vivarium is way to warm for these... Min temperature 16°C - Max 24°C (often less), average temp. around 20°C, humidity Min 40-50% Max 80-90%.
Our "Lepanthes Glass" will be much cooler - Min ~15°C - Max ~19°C. We have several options with the glass...

Any tips welcome!

Flickr!
Album Homepage

TxRobNLA
Customer

Post by TxRobNLA » Mon Dec 12, 2011 5:13 pm

Have you thought about using LED's for lighting since they run much cooler? It seems like that might work really well for something like this and with Lepanthes not having a high light requirement LED's might be ok.

BryanG
Customer

Post by BryanG » Tue Dec 13, 2011 10:08 am

wow, that is really awesome, how crafty! can't wait to see the final result, i'm sure it'll be amazing once the orchids are in and growing :)
Happy Growing :D

naturegirl72
Site Admin

Post by naturegirl72 » Tue Dec 13, 2011 11:18 am

TxRobNLA wrote:Have you thought about using LED's for lighting since they run much cooler? It seems like that might work really well for something like this and with Lepanthes not having a high light requirement LED's might be ok.

As I wrote above we planned that some of the wholes in the lid can be used to fix additional Led's to increase light for the orchids. It's good to hear that you also think the LED light will be enough for the Lepanthes. Probably the glass will find its place on a window so there will be also natural light. We have a lumen/foot candle meter to measure the luminous intensity.
Thank's for your ideas! :D

Flickr!
Album Homepage

loujost
Customer

Post by loujost » Tue Dec 13, 2011 12:53 pm

Sylvi, gargoyla might be too big. The other two should be ok, though calodyction might be borderline. Calodyction likes to be warm, by the way.
I am sure LEDs would be more than sufficient, as long as they had an appropriate spectrum. The fan might be too much....but you will soon see how things grow in there and will surely be able to make adjustments based on what you see. Good luck, Lou

naturegirl72
Site Admin

Post by naturegirl72 » Tue Dec 13, 2011 1:24 pm

Thank's, Lou, for your infos! I suppose we're going to try telipogoniflora and calodycticon, gargoyla will find another place in our home ;)
As you said everything is adjustable.
By the way, does gargoyla prefer it warm or cold?

Flickr!
Album Homepage

loujost
Customer

Post by loujost » Tue Dec 13, 2011 1:44 pm

Gargoyla comes from warm elevations (900-1300m), but not as warm as calodyction.

naturegirl72
Site Admin

Post by naturegirl72 » Tue Dec 13, 2011 1:47 pm

loujost wrote:Gargoyla comes from warm elevations (900-1300m), but not as warm as calodyction.

Thank you! :D

Flickr!
Album Homepage

loujost
Customer

Post by loujost » Tue Dec 13, 2011 1:50 pm

Glad to be able to help!

marccub

Post by marccub » Thu Dec 15, 2011 2:44 pm

It's a great idea ! I think you had a look to the web site Epiweb from Ikea world, no ?? :lol: As you i really like the way they grow Lepanthes and other cold species... it's wonderfull...

naturegirl72
Site Admin

Post by naturegirl72 » Thu Dec 15, 2011 2:56 pm

marccub wrote:It's a great idea ! I think you had a look to the web site Epiweb from Ikea world, no ?? :lol: As you i really like the way they grow Lepanthes and other cold species... it's wonderfull...

Marc, to be true we both don't know what you mean :? - can you please post us a link 'cause we would really like to check the pages :D - thank's!

Flickr!
Album Homepage

Return to “Growing Areas”