my first orchid tank

windows, Hydrohut, basements, terrarria etc
orchideya

my first orchid tank

Post by orchideya » Thu Jan 10, 2013 7:16 pm

I was waiting my orchidarium for 5 months and there was still no certain date when it will be shipped, so I cancelled my order and took on an DIY project.
Here is a reptile tank how I bought it:

And here is how I converted it into an orchid tank:

phalaenopsis
Customer

Re: my first orchid tank

Post by phalaenopsis » Thu Jan 10, 2013 8:16 pm

very creative, thanks for posting!

bballr4567

Post by bballr4567 » Thu Jan 10, 2013 8:28 pm

Very nice and very nice collection too!
Josh

orchidgfs

Post by orchidgfs » Thu Jan 10, 2013 9:19 pm

very nice,glenn

peterlin
Site Admin

Post by peterlin » Thu Jan 10, 2013 9:21 pm

Nicely done.
Peter Lin, Admin
Big Leaf Orchids

Call_Me_Bob
Customer

Post by Call_Me_Bob » Thu Jan 10, 2013 11:35 pm

BEAUTIFUL PLANTS!! Where did you get the egg-crate?
~Martin

rangiku

Post by rangiku » Fri Jan 11, 2013 6:17 am

This looks fantastic! Please make me one. :)

Quay, you can get it at Home Depot or Lowes. I'm just wondering how she cut it so perfectly...

Orchidsarefun
Customer

Post by Orchidsarefun » Fri Jan 11, 2013 7:00 am

great !
having cut egg-crate with a hacksaw, I know what a pain it is to do.
How DID you do it ?

orchideya

Post by orchideya » Fri Jan 11, 2013 7:48 am

Thank you everybody for your compliments. I am glad you liked it.
I got egg crate at home depot, it was in the suspended ceiling section. Here it comes in sheets 4ft by 2ft at $12.99 per sheet. I used 4 sheets for my setup. I thought it would be plenty but as it always happens - it was one piece short - left side wall is uncovered. I decided to pretend that it is by design :).
To cut egg crate I used a cutting tool from my husbands toolbox, it looks like a small plier, I think they cut wires with it. You choose the line of squares to be cut and then cut each individual square. It goes fast and easy - click-click-click. After it is cut - you trim the edges with same pliers thing but here you have to be careful because pieces of plastics will fly around and might hit you in the eye - it happened to me, so safety glasses might be a good idea.

newbud
Customer

Post by newbud » Fri Jan 11, 2013 8:03 am

What a great idea. I'm going to H.D. and converting today.
Thanks so much.

"Endless forms, most beautiful and most wonderful, have been and are being evolved." Charles Darwin

orchideya

Post by orchideya » Fri Jan 11, 2013 8:20 am

newbud wrote:What a great idea. I'm going to H.D. and converting today.
Thanks so much.

Great! Please post the pictures of the end result.
My shelves are resting on the glass vases of different hight, I have many of them left from the time
when I grew vandas in vases. Then I moved vandas to clay pots and vases were dusting in the basement. Now they got a good use :)
Originaly they came from dollarama and still are available there at $2 each.

Jayfar
Customer

Post by Jayfar » Fri Jan 11, 2013 8:28 am

orchideya wrote:I got egg crate at home depot, it was in the suspended ceiling section. Here it comes in sheets 4ft by 2ft at $12.99 per sheet.

Some Home Depots have it in the lighting section; it's about that same price in the US. Short precut pieces of pvc from the plumbing department can be used as supports.

DHS0403
Customer

Post by DHS0403 » Fri Jan 11, 2013 8:30 am

Very nice DIY solution to your disappointing exchange with a supplier.

I really like the neat and orderly appearance of your racks -- although it's good to know that you plan to build more units to accommodate 1) more plants and 2) the growth of these plants. It will be like having a modular greenhouse indoors. My wife would thoroughly approve.

One suggestion -- while your finished unit speaks for itself -- I really appreciate the step-by-step directions that you have posted to your website --- http://www.orchideya.ca/

dhs0403

orchideya

Post by orchideya » Fri Jan 11, 2013 8:46 am

Jayfar wrote:
orchideya wrote:I got egg crate at home depot, it was in the suspended ceiling section. Here it comes in sheets 4ft by 2ft at $12.99 per sheet.

Some Home Depots have it in the lighting section; it's about that same price in the US. Short precut pieces of pvc from the plumbing department can be used as supports.

Yes, I looked at those PVC pipe connectors, but the taller ones were like $6.99 per piece and since egg-crate is very flexible - you need many of support pieces for long shelves, so $2 vases was cheaper solution for me. :)

orchideya

Post by orchideya » Fri Jan 11, 2013 8:49 am

DHS0403 wrote:Very nice DIY solution to your disappointing exchange with a supplier.

I really like the neat and orderly appearance of your racks -- although it's good to know that you plan to build more units to accommodate 1) more plants and 2) the growth of these plants. It will be like having a modular greenhouse indoors. My wife would thoroughly approve.

One suggestion -- while your finished unit speaks for itself -- I really appreciate the step-by-step directions that you have posted to your website --- http://www.orchideya.ca/

dhs0403

Thank you! I still have many plants outside orchid tank. Mostly vandas and cattleyas that are not as demanding humidity-wise, but still would be nice to have them in the enclosure with better environment.

Return to “Growing Areas”